X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5 speed COnverted to 6 Speed...need Help

Hey everyone.
    whats up?
    I purchased a 6speed FWD gearbox from an A6 2.5TDI.
    I want to install it in my 1995 Audi 80 B4 2.0E.
    What parts can i not use back?
    can i use the selector from the A6?or i will have to get an S2 shifter?
    Issam N. Abed
    iABED Industries
    iABED Email | Facebook
    The build thread

You'll need custom gearbox mounts, as the 6 speed was never an option in a FWD B4, S2 shift mechanism, modified reverse lamp switch connector, modified inner CV's or entire driveshafts (S2 ones don't fit), tunnel may foul the top of the shift mechanism on gearbox (The FWD 6 speed box is quite bulky, not sure if B4 tunnel gives enough room) S2 clutch master and slave cylinders, again not sure of distance between clutch and rear of bell housing, you may or may not need spacer. Flywheel? Flat or dished? The list goes on... I would rather build your existing 5 speed tranny with different ratios to match the characteristics of your turbocharged 8V four - S2's have the same overall ratios in both 5 and 6 speed trannys, the 6 merely has the ratios closer to keep the Big Five 'on the boil'. Both boxes are roughly about 24.5 mph / 1000 RPM. The 2.5 TDI is about 38 mph / 1000 RPM. I doubt you will have enough torque to pull 5,500 RPM in 5th, you definitely won't have enough in 6th.

Siena

Comment

oh no..
      so i just waisted my money buying the 6-speed?
      Basically i bought it because it was the only 6 speed available in fWD format.
      I dont mind the custom mounts and i am sure someone in here has an S2 shifter but what i am worried about is this gearing...
      so your saying the car wouldnt have any power?
      Remember my engine is going to be well over 300hp...
      Issam N. Abed
      iABED Industries
      iABED Email | Facebook
      The build thread

Comment

Well in the future i would change the internals with those of an S2 or even RS2 spec.
        But for now i just want to know if the gearbox will fit in.I was thinking because it didnt have the transfer box for the 4WD that it would be shorter hence enabling me to use my tunnel.I have the Shafts from the A6 as well as other components like revrse selector and such things which are still on the gearbox.
        Could i use the slave clutch cylinder which came with the A6 and then use the master cylinder from the 80?
        Issam N. Abed
        iABED Industries
        iABED Email | Facebook
        The build thread

Comment

Yes, you can use the A6 slave cylinder, don't worry, all is not lost! You have PM.

Siena

Comment

You know whats disturbing about the S2Forums Vagsport?
            57 Views to this thread...not 4 or 5 but 57 and not one guy could have given me some input?
            It makes you all feel any better in the near future i plan to drop a 2.7TT in my UR-Quattro.
            thanks alot Vagsport...
            peace
            Issam N. Abed
            iABED Industries
            iABED Email | Facebook
            The build thread

Comment

Originally posted by Wizard-of-OD
              57 Views to this thread...not 4 or 5 but 57 and not one guy could have given me some input?
              That's 57 people who are learning for the next person who asks.

This is new stuff to S2 owners who don't have to swap FWD gearboxes.

Hope you get it sorted
              S2,RS2,S4 WB,RS4,S4 B8,RS6 C5,RS6 C6,R8

Comment

sorry DOug,i just found it really puzzling.
                Issam N. Abed
                iABED Industries
                iABED Email | Facebook
                The build thread

Comment

Working...
                X