Which ABY Clutch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which ABY Clutch?

What are the options on the ABY clutch - I need a good one capable of 450bhp and >600Nm.

Being a newbie to clutches - what parts get replaced on a new clutch?

Cheers
    S2,RS2,S4 WB,RS4,S4 B8,RS6 C5,RS6 C6,R8

So nobody has any experience of good ABY clutches?

Comment

Hi Doug

Had a dig around as I was sure I remembered Mihnea recommended the Sachs clutch kit. Here's his original post.

Originally posted by Mihnea
      Umm, well, this doesn't sound too surprizing for me from LUK as their clutches are usually remanufactured items (90% of their catalogue).

In one word: get a Sachs clutch kit and you'll be set IMO, LUK plain suck IME, and I know a bit of this as I used to work for a japanese clutch manufacturer and I was in charge with warranty claims, where we also saw coming back to us Luk clutches that we were just repackaging.

Cheers,

Mihnea
      PS. I assume (perhaps wrongly) my jalopy has a standard clutch - but then she's only running a stock 315 bhp. Previous owner had clutch replaced in May 2000. Part no for clutch kit - 034198141CQ - cost £162 GBP + VAT.

Clutch master cylinder replaced in July 2000. Part no - 8A0721401 - £285.60 GBP + VAT.

Comment

Doug two options for you......

Helix organic
        Sachs organic

Paddle clutches dig into the flywheel and destroy them, plus dont last very long.

Expect to pay 450-600+VAT!!!!!! For a complete kit inc. bearing.
        sigpic
        Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
        Audi UR Quattro
        Audi 100 C3 2.0 5 cyl 115ps
        Audi S2 - 07k engine project aiming for 800ps
        Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

I have a part number for a sachs kit for the aby/s2 somewhere - but Steve doesn't rate his sachs clutch on the 3B.

Is the "sachs organic" different to a standard sachs clutch?

Anyone know a good(cheap) supplier of sachs clutches?

Comment

I also want a new clutch fitting and will be very interested in the sachs clutch. Two weeks and hopefully the car will be taken off the road for a while to have some cash spent on her.
            Graham
            Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.--:Albert Einstein

Comment

Here is a link to the sachs uk webpage for an ABY clutch:

sachs link

It is part number: 3000 951 729 , Is this going to be any good for lots of torque?

Graham - are you changing it by taking the gearbox out or engine out?

Comment

I am going to replace the gearbox with a "newer/lesser mileage" one, so the gearbox will be coming out.
                Graham
                Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.--:Albert Einstein

Comment

Proven products quoted me for a sachs clukch kit but i have had a re-format since then and i cant remember the exact price but it was about 250 quid
                  Graham

Comment

What do you guys reckon to this clutch quote from QST:

Hi Dougal,
                    We can supply you an MTM Sachs paddle clutch kit for £650.00 + VAT & a single mass flywheel for £342.50 + VAT. This will take what ever power you put through it.
                    Regards
                    Kim Collins
                    qst

Comment

Doug what sort of power are you trying to achieve?

Comment

Just now 440bhp and 600Nm, next year, more power hopefully - but I don't want to have to change clutches every year and I want one that can be dropped.

The MTM thing is too expensive for me though - Is this the on-off clutch?

Comment

paddle clutches cost around £550-£650 im using a Helix paddle clutch on my car. My flywheel has been balanced and lightened so its about the same as the single mass flywheel which qst are selling.
                          If you decide to lightened and balance your flywheel, I recommend balancing the crank, rods and pistons too and the crank pulley. balancing will allow you to rev higher and freely it also helps your turbo spool up.
                          Recommended for high power.

Comment

I got this response from Dahlback Racing: "We have a kit with flywheel how can handle that the price is EUR1600 + VAT"

Ouch, thats some wedge of cash for a steel plate with sintered material bonded too it and a set of springs.
                            The search continues.........

Graham

Comment

My crank, pistons, rods, crank pulley, clutch and flywheel will all be getting balanced - this is why I need to get a new clutch sorted out soon. I just want something that is better than a standard clutch - as I know that will not last - even a new one. £1000+ on a clutch is too much.

Comment

Working...
                              X