Gear ratio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gear ratio

I'd like to change my gear ratio for my coupe, so it would rev less while cruising. It's a 1990 quattro, do gears from a front wheel drive tranny fit into my tranny to change gear ratio? Or what quattro tranny in witch car, model, year, do rev the less?

Well, correct me if i'm wrong (and i probably am) but i think deisels usually use longer ratios do to their lower revving engines. I know a lot of Golf boys use TD boxes on their modified cars, don't know about Audi's though........

Comment

Your Coupe q has a final drive ratio of 4.11:1, approx. 21.3 mph in 5th. The next higher ratio that you could fit to your Coupe (must be torsen box) is a 3.89:1, approx 24 mph in 5th will have to come from a 90 20V quattro. I don't know any other torsen box that will match your car.

Siena

Comment

Sienna,

would that be the same ratio as mine?

My car is a 1990 coupe quattro 20V.

I have a strange noise from my transmission, I bought the car at 7K ( damaged repairable. There is a high pitched whine related to road speed from the gearbox quite horrible at high motorway speeds. it is possibly pinion bearings, there is a bit of transmission backlash possibly just normal quattro slack. when pulling away in second at low revs there is a 'mangling' noise very geary sound. I wondered if the car had been towed around with the front wheels off the ground and damaged the Torsen Diff which I think I have.

David.
        Last edited by Stick Insect; 2 March 2004, 14:37.

Comment

Working...
        X