Help! What has gone wrong?? :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! What has gone wrong?? :(

My clutch suddenly stopped working on Friday night,. I.E. one minute perfect the next full pedal travel no clutch disengagement.

I initially thought this was a drive plate failure. However having spoken to the garage that are going to look at it (Autopool) the guy said it may be the PIN in the clutch cylinder?

Does this sound feasible and what is the likely cost of this to repair as opposed to the Clutch with he has quoted at £700 inc parts?

He cannot take the car until next Monday so I am just trying to get an idea how much of my savings are going to take a battering....

Cheers,

Steve

(Temporarily stopped smiling)
    The Perfectionist
    sigpic
    Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

If you are with the AA or RAC a call out may be in order. They may be able to gve you further knowledge.

Get under the car and look at the master cylinder operation. If the metal arm flops about then the pivot point may have given way. if the arm feels ok then it may be the hydraulic section or pipe come off. I assume that there is fluid in the resovoir?

The only cure may be to take the box off which is a big job on a quattro.

David

Comment

Didn't know if it was an obvious BTDT or not. I am happy to leave it with Autopool as they seem to know what they are doing and will fix it one way or another. I *MAY* have a look at it late if I can be arsed! Although I am not adversed to getting my hands dirty, I am also not into lying undercars in the winter when I don't know what I am looking at!!

Thanks,

Steve.
      The Perfectionist
      sigpic
      Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

Did you stick your foot back underneath the pedal and pull it back up?

Happened to me once - had been chugging in traffic, and everything was getting hotter, water, oil, my internal body temperature from road rage, and I suspect the clutch fluid as well.

Hammering up a hill once traffic had cleared went to change gear and... pedal stuck down. After a moment's panic, seeing my credit card bill flash before my eyes, I stuck my foot under the pedal and pulled it back up again. No troubles before or after, it only happened that once, and that must have been 30 odd thousand miles ago.

PJ
        'The Bacofoil Express'...

No more.

Leon TDI 150 run in now.

Very slow.

Needs a chip.

Comment

I had a problem with my clutch pedal not returning about 6 months ago which culminated in the master cylinder rod snapping:

http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthr...=&threadid=270

Basically I ended up replacing the whole clutch as the push rod snapped again with a replacement master cylinder. I paid about £150+VAT for a Sachs clutch kit from GSF.
          Now RS2'less

'99 VW Passat VR5 Sport

Comment

Thanks for the replys. Just to avoid any confusion. the clutch pedal is not stuck down. It works perfectly smoothly - just does nothing to the clutch plates!! As far as I can figure it is either a failure of the clutch plate or a linkage fault between the clutch pedal and the clutch itself.

I will find out this time next week.

Cheers.

Steve.
            The Perfectionist
            sigpic

Comment

Working...
            X