Semi-slipping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Semi-slipping

A couple of years ago Doug mentioned "semi-slipping" the clutch, putting less strain on the drivetrain. I've tried a search on here and google, but not found much. I'm looking for a bit more detail (ideal rpm, throttle position after lifting the clutch, etc), as I want to look after my rebuilt ARV 'box. I'm guessing that semi-slipping the clutch will wear it faster, but as it's an uprated SPEC (3+???) I reckon it will stand up to it (and I don't plan on doing standing starts from every set of lights). If I can get 3-4 years before they both let go at a similar time I will be happy. I've read that Tom (audiman) managed to cope for two years on an ARV 'box with 450+bhp, but that car doesn't seem to be coping so well with 550+bhp (although another car is coping with 610bhp). Does anyone know what torque it was (when running 450+bhp) and what his driving style was like? Anyone care to shed some light on "semi-slipping" please, or is it a case of trial and error?
    David

'91 3B S2 Coupe

I have a spec clutch in mine and find it hard to semi slip actually, the bleeding thing just grips and if it doesn't get a good one it seems to bounce off the plate giving th kangaroo a new lease of life. I hva ehad to up the revs a bit on start off to prevent this from happening but the swine still just grips like a ho on crack. I am only running appox (fingers crossed more like) 290bhp with an unknown torque figure. Hopefully akin to mr casey's.
    Dark Grey Avant
    RS2 FARB
    Powerflex Front wishbone bushes
    Alloy Subframe Bushes

Comment

Working...
    X