dodgy linkage / box?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dodgy linkage / box?

either the linkage or the box on my CQ is shagged.
    I'm pretty sure its just the linkage, as once in gear, the car runs fine and no nasty noises, jumping out of gear or anything untoward.

Changing gear is like stirring a big bowl of soup - a good 2" of play in the shifter when its in gear. Selecting 5th and reverse is difficult, as the gate seems way over to the right, almost too far to reach. I've replaced the ball joint thing under the gaitor as there was lots of play in that, but no change unfortunately. Still feels like a transit van when i'm changing gear.

Can anyone tell me if this is likely to be a sworn out linkage or box (167k on the car) and how i might got about trying to rectify the problem?
    Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
    Indigo ABY coupé
    Imola B6 S4 Avant

I believe on the 20v it's a rod linkage? If you get underneath the car you should be a rod that goes in and out of the box, if you pull it out and in manually and engages gear fine I believe it's something at the shifter end.

Comment

Well...

from what i can remember when crawling under the car to change my gearbox linkage seal the rod has two connections, a simple one to the bottom of the gear lever like a hinge and the second UJ type thingy onto the box actuator shaft.

You can remove the one bolt at the actuator shaft and check how much play you have in the 2 joints or the bolt may have worked loose, it tightens onto a flat surface.

New bolt needed or use a good oil resistant locktite.
      Carlos.

On the look out for less bits for my s2 saloon project. Now supporting myself by shooting for my food. www.airgunforum.co.uk

Comment

The 5speed linkage has a large rubber universal joint on it. Moving the gear stick side to side and front to back should be a rigid link with no rubber cushioning. All other directions the rubber joint is flexible.
        Attached Files
        91CQ20v - Gone to a new home
        93UR-S4 - The Magic Carpet
        94S2Bus - The Emerald Express

Comment

So what does that suggest to you Mark? Rubber UJ is well worn?
          I've got a lot less play in my fwd 20v coupe with similar mileage.

Easy to replace the linkage on the CQ with the Box on the car?
          How tight should it feel?

Cheers guys
          Indigo ABY coupé
          Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

I think that your univrsal joint, wich is from plastic, is gone and needs replacement. Is the same as the 3B S2 one.
            Hope this helps!
            Eugen

Comment

I would guess its just worn out, mine has the same problem, hence i bought the new one. As "Flat on my back" suggests get under there and see what has play in it.

I never did get around to fitting mine as i'm changeing to a 6speed box instead. It did look like a PITA with exhaust and prop shaft in the way. It might also be covered by the heatshields, not sure.

New one is tight, almost no free play in the linkage.

Comment

Hmmm... i'll have a butchers but sounds like it might be a ball ache
                Cheers for the info guys

What are you planning Mark, pray tell! ABY Box or something exotic?
                How much was the linkage you bought and do you still need that one?
                Indigo ABY coupé
                Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Yep i have an ABY box and bits to go along with this never ending project

I cant remember what the linkage cost me so no idea what to offer it for. I'll see can i find the reciept..

Comment

whats the weight difference between the 01A and the 01E box?
                    wonder how the weight increase will weight up against the shorter ratios

sounds an interesting project mate
                    Indigo ABY coupé
                    Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

No idea on the weights, it does weight more though. All i know is the 7A gearbox is one of the lowest ratio 5speeds, and wouldn’t really suit an S2 motor. I got used to the 6speed in the S4, much nicer spacing between gears. I won’t be using the dual mass clutch, it will be a 3B flywheel and 6speed box.

More of a concern is the engine, there is a lot more accessory bits that add weight over the 7A setup

I can’t find the invoice for the linkage so i'll have to ring vagparts and find out what it cost. I think it was £80 but not sure.

Mark.

Comment

I've designed a version of that rod with a military spec u/j but I need to get the bushes machined for it plus some welding done. That will take all the play out of it!
                        Martin Cutting

aka Keeper of "The Teutonic Kitten"

It's not better than sex, but it runs it a close second.

Comment

nice
                          Indigo ABY coupé
                          Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Yeah I saw the joint which he's going to use, its funky

Comment

Working...
                            X