Clutch Master cylinder bleeding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch Master cylinder bleeding

As it says, how do you do this or with it having a direct feed from above does it self bleed (Ohh please, ohh please ) I am fitting my new one this weekend.
    Cheers
    Graham
    Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.--:Albert Einstein

The clutch is bled via the slave cylinder. The master has no bleed valve
    Mike

http://www.s2-audi.co.uk

Comment

Right i am doing the master cylinder in the morning, how hard is it to get to the bleed nipple on the slave cylinder to bleed the system.
      I found a site which is very usefull, it has a full step by step proceedure for changing the slave cylinder which sounds like a nightmare, but it mentions that with having the reservoir right above the master cylinder, and the supply line to the cylinder enters from the top it is a self bleeding cylinder.
      any suggestions please
      Cheers
      Graham
      Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.--:Albert Einstein

Comment

Hmm i guess i'll sail this ship alone then, i will just have to find the bleed nipple myself.
        Graham

Comment

Graham,

as Mike says the master cylinder is bled via the slave cylinder. The nipple for this is easiest accessed by moving the gear linkages to one side (I'm assuming you have an ABY). This is done by removing two nuts one of them a dome nut and lifting the linkage off of their shafts and to one side, dont worry about putting them on right as it can only go on one way (I think that makes sense). Have a look at the picture here that Ant posted in another thread. Do this and the bleed nipple is underneath them. It can be done without doing all this with the steering on full lock to the right (I think) to move the linkage to the side, but it is fiddly.

Mark.
          Mark - Modded

Comment

Help, i have fit the master cylinder, and i have bled over 3/4 of a litre through it. When i press the pedal it feels as if the spring gives way and the pedal goes all the way to just 1 inch off the floor then there is a bit of resistance then it does not return. How the F*ck do you get to the spring to change it, also could it be something else as i thought the slave cylinder is supposed to return the fluid and shove the pedal back.
            Cut to pieces, and pissed off. Can anyone help.
            Graham

Comment

Also if you shove the selector into sixth and drill out a 7/16" 1/4" drive socket out so that it goes over the nipple, and using a 2" extension with a 1/4 ratchet, it fits on the bleeder nicely and allows easy bleeding.
              Graham

Comment

Graham, sorry to hear about the problems. There is a spring on the clutch pedal, this is I feel above the drivers knee pad.

try pulling the pedal up your self.

several potential problems
                1/ faulty cylinder ( jamming of piston)
                2/ wrong alignment of cylinder ( piston is being shoved over at an angle and not in-line).
                3/clutch going over centre and needs the actuating rod adjusting( not sure if this is on the Audi but I mention it rather than not!
                good luck.

David

Comment

Sorted it, the neighbours were a little worried about me swearing and cursing by myself in the garage. Something so small as the clevis needed unscrewing 2 turns made the difference between the clutch pedal sticking to the floor and working as sweet as a nut. been out for a 15 min blast and it works a treat now. Sorry i know i was a bit Hi-rate earlier but the job was pissing me off. Thankyou for all who gave me advice in getting back on the road.

Graham

Comment

How much are you looking forward to doing the diff mount next week now?!
                    Bring it on!
                    Was a '93 3B, Dont ask now tho......

Comment

With the Aircon pipes in the way the problem i had was access. And being quite big was a bit arkward squeezing into the footwell upside down. Ended up having to remove the seat only to get the steel mounting bracket dug into my back. The joys of cars. The diff mount doesnt look as harder a job to do as access is a bit easier and i am just laid on the floor. I have also got a Vectra timing belt this week and a Marea service. (I hate fiats so much i think anyone who owns one needs to stick a match to it.) Fiats use crappy fittings and burry something like an oil filter in a housing so there is no way to get a rag around the joint to catch the oil so it pisses everywhere.
                      The audi is a work of art in comparison.
                      Graham

Comment

Hi Graham,

I was doing a lot of wiring on my Audi and spenta lot of my time on my ack with my head under the dashboard. I found a couple of old sofa cushions on the floor and a pile of cloth over the seat bracket mad a big difference, almost semi comfortable.

slave cylinder
                        diff mount
                        timing belt and a
                        Fiat service.

Should you not be on a web forum for masochists mechanics?

Hope all goes well.

I'm going on the roof now to fit a satellite system for my mum. ( she likes to watch Italian Television!) She could have a chat with Pisobiker .

David

Comment

Our lass worries when i start hitting myself with broken fiat parts screaming " I HATE THIS f*CKING PIECE OF ITALIAN SH*TE". And she liked the idea of me talking to the clutch samaritans. She compares me to dobbie from Harry Potter who hits himself when speaking ill of his Master. Also when i removed the Audi seat yesterday---Jaysus could Audi have made them heavier, if you melt the steel down from one of those seats you could probably re-cast it as an engine block. Not like my old Nova--they used tinfoil as a frame work, probably why it broke .
                          Anyway all seems to be ok now.
                          Graham

Comment

Originally posted by Graham
                            Also when i removed the Audi seat yesterday---Jaysus could Audi have made them heavier, if you melt the steel down from one of those seats you could probably re-cast it as an engine block.
                            If you want flimsy, try a Citroen AX. They don't break but they are made out of tinfoil as well.

I saw one with a BX16v engine. looked standard but went very well. I preferred the Renault 4 with a Renault5 GT turbo engine and box fitted. Great fun.

Aaaaargh I'm talking about French cars I'b better whip myself

Sorry calmed down now, Just thought of Michell Mouton instead, much nicer French Bodywork!

David

Comment

Working...
                            X