New linkage fitted (5spd)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New linkage fitted (5spd)

My CQ had been suffering from an extremely slack gear shift, coupled with difficulty in getting into 5th and a very notchy shift into 3rd. I'd already replaced the shifter bush, and this made very little noticeable differnce so i decided to replace the full linkage arm.

From reading up the universal joints wear and cause the slack in the mechanism, so this was my problem.
    Mcandmar kindly offered up his spare new 5 spd linkage for me at an excellent price - thanks Mark

This was actually a pretty easy job on the CQ, not as much hassle as i expected, although i think it would be tougher on the 3B due to the cats, which would probably need to come off - Could be similar on the ABY but its a completely different linkage.
    Here's a brif idea of the method i used. Sorry theres not more pics but my phone was on charge when i was fitting it Hope it helps someone anyway

The linkage it accessible (just) on the o/s of the gearbox. As it was, I could undo the 10mm shift rod screw fixing on the linkage with a long extension bar beside the exhaust. That came off no problem. Then use a pry bar against the gearbox housing, and prise the linkage off the end of the shift rod - this might take some force depending on how corroded it is - mine was a tough old swine, but then my car is 18 years old!!
    Once thats off you can move onto the cabin end, which is bolted to a u-shaped coupler, which in turn is bolted to the shifter.

By undoing the heatshield on the n/s you can bend it back and see the cabin end of the linkage - no way i could get anything up there to undo the 12mm bolt retaining the shifter to the linkage, but perhaps with a UJ extension you might be able to.
    Instead I set about pulling the centre consile apart - remove that lot to reveal the shifter ball joint bracket. Undo the two 13mm bolts holding that down, pull the shifter up - under the ball joint there is a bolt with 10mm nut holding the shifter to the u-shaped linkage coupler. Undo that and the linkage will drop down to rest on the prop, allowing you to wriggle it out the front between the box, tunnel and the exhaust.

This is what greeted me - a completely fubar'd 18 year old linkage:

Then refit the new one in true Haynes style, a reversal of removal.
    My new one on: job took about 1 hour from start to finish

The difference it made is fantastic. Very little play in the shifter, shorter throw and more solid gear change. I can get into 5th no problem and 3rd is better, although still a little notchy. I think an oil flush in the box will help make gear changes smoother.

Very happy with the results and highly recommended - a satisfying job where you really notice the improvement!
    Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
    Indigo ABY coupé
    Imola B6 S4 Avant

How much was the linkage?

I've just ordered a short shifter for my 5 speed

Comment

Originally posted by Acidburn View Post
      How much was the linkage?

I've just ordered a short shifter for my 5 speed
      Which one ya ordered Pete? 034?
      Audi A4 1.8Tq

VW Passat 1.8T RIP

Comment

Originally posted by madwolf_Uk View Post
        Which one ya ordered Pete? 034?
        Nope found a mate who will make me up a blitzcat styled one.

Comment

they are about £80 from VAGparts AFAIK mate.... i got mine for a very good price from Mark as he'd going 6 spd and didn't need it anymore
          Indigo ABY coupé
          Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Originally posted by Error404 View Post
            they are about £80 from VAGparts AFAIK mate.... i got mine for a very good price from Mark as he'd going 6 spd and didn't need it anymore
            Whats that the linkage or the shifter?

Yeah afaik the linkage is around that price.

the shifter from my mates around £50

Comment

linkage
              Indigo ABY coupé
              Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Hello,

I realize this is a very old thread, but I was wondering if anyone knew where I can get a gear linkage for a 1991 (J Reg) S2, 5 speed, 3B engine?

Even a part number would probably help?

My stick is very loose and think this would probably be a good place to start.

Thanks

Comment

893711613A for the 5 cylinder.

Try the dealer first
                  Indigo ABY coupé
                  Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Just had a reply from Audi in Aberdeen...

"There are no UK stocks of the part you require. If the factory in Germany have stock then the delivery would be 7-10 working days. We would need to order the part and the delivery should be known after 48 hours if available. The cost would be £100.55 inc VAT"

Don't suppose anybody has a spare they want to part with for less than £100?

Comment

Don't EFI Express or someone make one of these ?

Not sure of the price either.

I only know a little about lots.

Comment

Working...
                      X