Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

vagparts never had the OEM version.only the BMW unit

Comment

Pure chance i received mine in the post today, to be honest i don't see that much of a difference. I haven't removed the old one from the prop shaft but it looks ok to me.

@AndersS2: both your pics are the same mate, only difference is the first picture was taken with the flash Can you post a pic of back side of the original unit?

Cheers,

Mark.
      91CQ20v - Gone to a new home
      93UR-S4 - The Magic Carpet
      94S2Bus - The Emerald Express

Comment

You will see and feel the difference when you get the oem one off.
        Rob..
        94 RS2 Noggy,LHD,MTM map,18"cup 1s,245/35/18,Bilsteins,RS2 H&Rs,Cup splitter.
        87 UR 20v ABY
        97 S6 Avant
        96 A6 C4 2.5 TDI quattro avant,Ming,Wietec/eibach,chipped
        1967 Ford Mustang,Eleanor,460ci v8

Comment

Is your issue with the bearing, or the rubber mount? I bought this as a precaution but i might just leave it alone now.

Cheers,

Mark.
          91CQ20v - Gone to a new home
          93UR-S4 - The Magic Carpet
          94S2Bus - The Emerald Express

Comment

I believe it's the rubber mount, it's a lot less substantial than the OE one. Martyn a VAG Parts told me on Monday that the BMW one is NLA from them...

£100 isn't so bad, a lot more than £20 but a lot less than £1k for a new prop... as Audi intended Tossers.
            Cheers'en, AndyC
            1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

I too am "running" a Vagparts sourced bearing, Febi Bilstein if i remember correctly. The mounting of the bearing seemed alot less substantial than the OE one. I'm sure someone posted on here saying be carefull if you run big power as the prop can "bounce" around alot more. Just my thoughts, i too would be interested in an OE item. Group buy maybe?
              ATB

RAOUL

Comment

that would be me
                if you mount the bearing the way it is mounted on the BMW and actually designated to be mounted,it still makes noise due to the bouncing of the propshaft it self @ hard acceleration.Mounting it the other way around,(the back looking front) has cured this problem and im also now running the BMW unit without any noises.It just seems that it is very easy for the rubber to break so thats why i also got the OEM unit.I will keep the BMW bearing for as long as it lasts and have the other as a replacement.

Comment

here are a couple of pictures for side by side comparison I took when i rebuilt my spare prop shaft. Its not on the car just yet but soon I hope. As you can see the difference in thickness of the metal surround is quite marked and you are correct about the density/flex of the rubber on the oem versus the bmw/Febi part.

I'll report back on mine once installed....
                  sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Sorry for the late reply!

Last time checked, you had to buy the whole driveshaft system, to get the new bearing
                    The 034 MS part is NOT going on my propshaft, so a oem one have to be located.

There is this unbelivable diffrence in the resistance in the rubber of the two bearings. My old one, (which is kaputt) is much much stiffer than the 034 part. No way im using that.

@ mark: I deleted the wrong picture ofcourse Will post new next time im down in the workshop.

cheers for the feedback guys
                    Anders - S2 Avant Clubsport - 8pots or die!

sigpic

Comment

fitting the OEM propshaft support bearing @ GT500... hopefully we will eliminate the vibration on the higher gears!
                      will take some photos as well...

Comment

here is how i had the BMW unit mounted in order to work.Now it is out.
                        The original part is in and propshaft alligned and well,all thanks to Rob!(GT500) Thanks!!!

The result is a much more smooth ride and also no vibrations whilst turning(which i had).Also my allignment was a bit off so now everything is back in place.

However the vibrations from the rear diff/suspension when boosting hard on high gears(5th/6th) has not been eliminated and this turns me to the fact that the rear diff mount is either transferring all of the diff vibrations to the chassis,or the fact that i havent replaced the rear subframe bushes(which didnt seem all that bad actually),may produce some vibrations enough to make them noticable now that the diff mount is almost solid.

To be honest it is not that bad,but since my original diff mount is not knackered,i might as well fit it back in sometime to see if there is a difference,and pinpoint the reason of the vibrations once and for all.

Comment

I've been on a BMW one for a year and a half now with no issues. Didn't have much of a choice since the stealer doesn't sell the part individually. They just want you to buy a new driveshaft.
                          1990 Audi Coupe - 7A for now

Comment

If I could have found the OE one I would have loved to have used it.

I've been running the BMW bearing for almost five years now in my B2 90q with a WX. I'm pushing around 240hp and have been tracking the car . Needless to say the car hasn't been pampered and no problems to date.

Comment

has anyone got any info on where to get an oe bearing from. as mine is also inneed of a service .cheers.

Comment

What is the part number of the BMW bearing? I would like to see what is the bmw price here.
                                Audi Quattro WR

Comment

Working...
                                X