No announcement yet.

Launching an S2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's a bit of a **** up launch from GTI 07. Not sure who it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TMVPxFLKbs
    S2Forum.com Administrator

Comment

Originally posted by Sonic View Post
      Here's a bit of a **** up launch from GTI 07. Not sure who it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TMVPxFLKbs
      Cool, thats made me feel better now!!

Comment

You seem to miss the lights, slip the clutch and then struggle for second. Cant see to much more as i moved the camera.

There is no doubt that launches are a bit of a skill.

Comment

There was one guy in 07 who got it completely wrong, fried his clutch in 1st and then couldn' get it to gri pin 2nd so ended up going down the strip with a plume of black smoke behind him. Nightmare.
          Cheers'en, AndyC
          1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

I do like to give mine the odd blast in first gear i'll admit

However my best launch was completely co-incidental and before i had the 1st-2nd synchro fixed!

Me and a mate (Karak) were in 2 seperate cars at a set of lights after a long journey down the M6. He was in a hyundai coupe i was in the s2.

Karak took the piss a little and revved the **** off the hyundai (it wasnt his car), and i decided to be a bit of a chav and rev the s2 in comparison When i hit about 6krpm the lights went green and without thinking about it to much side stepped the clutch.

Needless to say the car launched and the hyundai disappeared. I had to let the revs drop before slotting it into 2nd, but the launch was pretty cool. Karak said it looked awesome

Edit: This was in the wet and as Andy Casey said the car bogs down for a split second as it struggles to get traction and the weight shifts to the rear, a slight slip of the tyres and then you're off.
            Ahh... good times!

Maybe I should have killed that damn Hyundai - then the gimp boy couldnt have rammed it into the back of my car!
            Haynes Manual:As described in Chapter 7...

Translation:That'll teach you not to read through before you start, now you are looking at scarey photos of the inside of a gearbox.

Comment

I've been launching with 3,5k rpm cluch quickly up and at the same time floor it. Slight front wheel spin for a meter or two.

My barge of a car could do 6.4sec 0-100km/h with that We'll see what it does with everything back together
              All quattro products have been dermatologically tested, and are safe for daily use.

Comment

You seem to miss the lights, slip the clutch and then struggle for second. Cant see to much more as i moved the camera.
                Ohh christ, that vid of yours wasnt me btw!! (just need to clear that one up! )

Comment

Liked the video of bo and casey, was interesting to see a 3b vs aby

3b for the win

Comment

Originally posted by DarrenM View Post
                    Ohh christ, that vid of yours wasnt me btw!! (just need to clear that one up! )
                    Sorry i thought you were being sarcastic!

Originally posted by Acidburn View Post
                    Liked the video of bo and casey, was interesting to see a 3b vs aby

3b for the win
                    I cant remember for sure but i think bo's had a few more modifications than Andy's

Comment

I always bounced the revs between 4-5k rpm and side stepped the clutch, and did this loads of times with no problem with my clutch.
                      However, I do have a broken ARV sat on my driveway, although that may be just a coincidence.
                      SS

Comment

Mine was running standard at teh time with a weak headgasket, Bo's was chipped. Bo's won but not by much and he jusmped me at the start as I was slow. The real difference was that the 3B didn't have to snick 4th so he pulled a lot of distance at the end of the strip.
                        Cheers'en, AndyC
                        1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

i have only launched my car 2 times with the previous OEM clutch disc.The disc is now out because of the spec unit and it looks like new.Honestly it smelled for a couple of days,but didnt slip,or give me any hard time whatsoever.The launch was made with revs about 5000rpm,lift the clutch WOT on the clutch and then try to hit the same way the rest of the gears.I must say i dont know the side step technique.all i have heard about is that in between gears you may gain some fractions of seconds when you change them without really lifting off(which i did cause i dont know how to drag race! )

Comment

Working...
                          X