Clutch problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch problems

Anybody had clutch master cylinder push rods breaking ? Mine sheared-off last week. I had a new master cylinder fitted which worked OK for all of 20 miles before that one broke aswell!

I've just had the clutch replaced but worryingly there wasn't much wrong with the old one. It was just a bit worn - no broken fingers or springs, etc. which might have explained the broken push rod. I'm picking the car up later today but fear the same thing could happen again. Any ideas ?

Peter
    Now RS2'less

'99 VW Passat VR5 Sport

Peter,

sorry to hear of the trouble, must be very confidence inspiring!

I've been supply parts for nearly 20 years and I've personally, never heard this before?

Had the S2 of been cable operated, you straight away say clutch fingers gone 'rigid' cause the extra stress to break the cable, however, no cable means the fingers gone stiff wouldn't make the rod break.

I DO KNOW the over centre clutch return springs are often problematic, but the problem was always the pedal not returning back up enough.

So, this can surely only leave one other possibility, or maybe 2!

1) the pedal is out of alignment and pushing on the CMC rod at an odd angle causing the stress and breakage?

2) The wrong master cylinder is being fitted? there is more than one type of clutch master.

There is a 3) but its too long a shot, but here goes, where the master cylinder is bolted too, maybe that is flexing? long shot!

Does the clutch 'feel' ok, ie not heavy? This is very weird....

Try to find out the OE part number of the cylinder that was/is being fitted and let me know, I'll check it for you.

Good luck Peter!
    Martyn
    Martyn
    -------------------------------------

www.vagparts.com

Comment

A few days before the original push rod broke the pedal wasn't returning back-up enough so maybe it is the problematic return springs as you suggested.

The replacement cylinder (from GSF) didn't give this warning sign though - it appeared fine until the push rod just snapped again.

I've done 16k miles in just over a year since I've owned the car and the clutch has always felt heavy although I've been told all S2 clutches were on the heavy side - certainly all the ones I've driven have been similar.

Peter
      Now RS2'less

'99 VW Passat VR5 Sport

Comment

Peter,

I'd agree with you on the 'heavy clutch' as standard (just so long as it's not MORE heavy than usual) mine is also quite heavy, so my wife says!! The only other S2 I've driven is Matt's here and his clutch is lighter than mine??! anyhow, I reckon you should replace that 'over-centre' spring because it's so cheap you might as weel do it. You need to order part number 4A0 721 403E from your local dealer. If you order it with them before 1PM today, they'll get it in from Audi UK tomorrow on Saturday morning giving you the chance to fit it this weekend.

IF, GSF can check for you, and I'm sure then can use OE Audi part numbers! then ask them to check the OE part numebr of the one they supplied you. They should of supplied you part number 8A0 721 401 (for an ABY!!! - not sure what S2 you have?) or part number 893 721 401D if a 3B. Coupe or Avant doesn't matter with the CMC's.

These over centre springs are located at the very top of the clutch pedal and are held on by 'locking clips' the type you prise apart gently so it shouldn't be too hard, just awkard to reach (as everything S2 is!!)

You might as well replace this, it would at least eliminate this as a potential cause.

Good luck
        Martyn
        Martyn

www.vagparts.com

Comment

I've had no problems since getting the car back - it must have just been the worn clutch which caused the broken push rods. The new Sachs clutch feels much lighter though.

But I did have another 'moment' on my way to work this morning. A very loud knocking & vibration suddenly started from the nsf.

It turned out the wheel had worked loose....must have been from when the clutch was fitted last week.

Bit worrying. No harm done though!
          Now RS2'less

'99 VW Passat VR5 Sport

Comment

Good news then on the clutch! did you say wheel worked loose?

Hope it stays ok for you Peter.
            Martyn
            Martyn

www.vagparts.com

Comment

I've had the clutch pedal stay down when I've pressed it - took my foot underneath and pulling it back up to get it working again - only happened once, a year or more ago, and no problem since. The weather was warm at the time, if that makes any difference.

Saying that, my feet have been likened to lumps of lead (broke accelerator pedal and the linkage on the throttle body at the same time).

PJ
              'The Bacofoil Express'...

No more.

Leon TDI 150 run in now.

Very slow.

Needs a chip.

Comment

Yes Martyn your eyes weren't deceiving you - it was the wheel bolts which were loose. I didn't ask at the Audi dealer how many were actually loose. I can only assume the garage where I had the clutch done didn't tighten & check them sufficiently.
                Now RS2'less

'99 VW Passat VR5 Sport

Comment

Working...
                X