HELP! Front CV driveshaft bearing!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP! Front CV driveshaft bearing!!!

What does one of these sound like when it has failed? Does it sound like a bad wheel bearing with a subtle grinding noise or like a bad axle CV joint with clicking? The sound is coming from up front and I know all the front suspension components are good because they are new. The only other thing I can think of is the front brake hats which are part in parcel of a BBK setup. They are Wilwoods. I'm wondering if they are warped. Using semi-metalic pads in my Porsche 996 calipers should not have done this. I will be changing over to Ceramic composites soon. But before I drop big money I need to know about the front driveshaft CV.

IME CV joint failure is a tick tick tick...

HTH

Cheers,

Steve
    The Perfectionist
    sigpic
    Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

re:IME CV joint failure is a tick tick tick...???

So you are saying the Quattro driveshaft CV joint up front will make the same clicking noise an axle CV would make?

Comment

I am confused by your last post. Surely a Quattro Driveshaft CV joint is the same as a normal axle CV?
        The Perfectionist
        sigpic
        Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

re: am confused by your last post. Surely a Quattro Driveshaft CV joint is the same..

FAT, I've always thought that the driveshaft CV was bigger and stronger due to the punishment it takes.

Comment

the center prop shaft CV joints actually take less torque than the four driveshafts as the 4.11 diff means its spinning 4.11 times faster therefore less torque, so they are actually not as hardcore, i believe they are the same part as found on the front of a ford scorpio if i remember correctly....
            As for what noise they make i'm not sure but i'd guess its the same as a normal driveshaft CV joint.

Ant
            91' Coupe quattro 20v - project
            KW V2s and other goodies
            now gone
            03' BMW 330CI - Sold
            08' A5 Coupe 3.0l tdi quattro - Sold
            57' BMW 525d M Sport Touring

Comment

mine makes a faint tick tick tick.... like steve suggested but only at slow speeds, I can't hear it at more than 40mph.
              I had a split boot and grease sprayed up all over the shop when i bought the car so i knew it was only a matter of time until it went.
              Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
              Indigo ABY coupé
              Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Does it get louder when you steer assuming its a front driveshaft?

Comment

mine does a bit
                  Indigo ABY coupé
                  Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Are we talking about the prop shaft??

Now I get it!

I doubt the prop will "tick" as much as the angle of the joint is much larger, almost straight.

Perhaps someone else can advise, I have not heard a dodgy prop....
                    The Perfectionist
                    sigpic

Comment

I think the prop would have to be visually inspected for play. You would notice an increase in slack whilst driving too.

Comment

also any noise would come from behind you if it was the prop
                        Indigo ABY coupé
                        Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Working...
                        X