RS2 trans vs b5 s4 trans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RS2 trans vs b5 s4 trans

is there a big difference between the rs2 trans and the twin turbo s4 trans? im pretty sure that the rs2 trans is more built but i may be wrong, if someone could explain the differences and so forth, also does the s4 trans have the lengthen first gear like the rs2 trans.

when you say lengthen first gear I presume you mean strengthened like the rs2 and late aby's had.

I am also interested to know as i've been looking into if its possible to fit a rs4 box i've been enquiring about to my 3b s2.

Comment

Originally posted by Acidburn View Post
      when you say lengthen first gear I presume you mean strengthened like the rs2 and late aby's had.

I am also interested to know as i've been looking into if its possible to fit a rs4 box i've been enquiring about to my 3b s2.

yes i ment the strengthen first gear? since in the U.S i can find a s4 6 speed tranny for much cheaper would like to know if its worth getting if not ill just stick with the rs2 tranny

Comment

Originally posted by euro_urs4 View Post
        is there a big difference between the rs2 trans and the twin turbo s4 trans? im pretty sure that the rs2 trans is more built but i may be wrong, if someone could explain the differences and so forth, also does the s4 trans have the lengthen first gear like the rs2 trans.
        They are much the same. S4 has 0.68 6. while RS2 has .71. S4 might have oil pump. Not sure if all bi-turbo had that.
        Both have wide 1.gear.

Comment

Originally posted by Audi_CQ View Post
          They are much the same. S4 has 0.68 6. while RS2 has .71. S4 might have oil pump. Not sure if all bi-turbo had that. Both have wide 1.gear.
          I already explained to Eric on AudiWorld that the RS2 CRB tranny has a wider first gear on a shaft that was designed to flex (give, twist) a bit under a hard launch so as to take up/mitigate some of the violent forces that could otherwise chip bits of the first gear teeth (called "galling"). This wide, flexible first gear had a PN of 01E 311 105 H.

Note: The first gear shaft and first gear are one part, not two parts.

The B5 S4 transmission (DSY or EDU) has a wide but NOT flexible shaft first gear:
          01E 311 105 J. I think the EDU has the oil pump, the DSY does not.

More 01E details (down to all the ratios, and PNs) are available here:

http://www.elektro.com/~audi/01E/
          RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
          94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

Originally posted by UrS4boy View Post
            I already explained to Eric on AudiWorld that the RS2 CRB tranny has a wider first gear on a shaft that was designed to flex (give, twist) a bit under a hard launch so as to take up/mitigate some of the violent forces that could otherwise chip bits of the first gear teeth (called "galling"). This wide, flexible first gear had a PN of 01E 311 105 H.

Note: The first gear shaft and first gear are one part, not two parts.

The B5 S4 transmission (DSY or EDU) has a wide but NOT flexible shaft first gear:
            01E 311 105 J. I think the EDU has the oil pump, the DSY does not.

More 01E details (down to all the ratios, and PNs) are available here:

http://www.elektro.com/~audi/01E/
            i thought every gearbox has a pump to help lubricate the top level of gears??
            either way i have a DSY at home and it has an oil cooler attatched, so that must have a pump. i'm yet to fit mine but am told its a straight swap from an ABY box, one differance, not sure if its applicable to RS2 but there are no mounts for the procon 10, but as i said not sure if the RS" even had that as an option.

Ant
            91' Coupe quattro 20v - project
            KW V2s and other goodies
            now gone
            03' BMW 330CI - Sold
            08' A5 Coupe 3.0l tdi quattro - Sold
            57' BMW 525d M Sport Touring

Comment

the procon bits afaik just bolt on.

problem with your box anton is as above it might not have the flexible shaft.

Comment

Originally posted by anton View Post
                i thought every gearbox has a pump to help lubricate the top level of gears?? either way i have a DSY at home and it has an oil cooler attatched, so that must have a pump. i'm yet to fit mine but am told its a straight swap from an ABY box, one differance, not sure if its applicable to RS2 but there are no mounts for the procon 10, but as i said not sure if the RS" even had that as an option. Ant
                I think you will find that the gears rotate so they pick up oil without any need for a pump. The pump is to move oil to a cooler (and return it to the trans).

You are right. It's the DSY not the EDU that has the cooler (and pump). Others that have the pump include the FRQ (but I do not know what that trans goes in). The EDU was the US B5 S4tt 6 spd transmission.

The RS2 CRB does indeed have the ProConTen bracket whereas the DSY and EDU do not. I know at least one person who installed a EDU in an UrS4 and added the ProConTen bracket from his original transmission. It wasn't 100%.
                RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
                94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

Working...
                X