CV Joint help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CV Joint help please

Just replacing outer front CV joint, the kit contains this washer and a plastic collar (see first pic).
    Now the funny thing is, that the CV joint I removed had neither!

Both joints look to be the same length/size etc - so I'm wondering if the joint failed because these 2 parts were missing???
    The bible shows the concave spring washer as looking forward (as per picture 2), but I've raked up an old thread http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthr...ighlight=joint in which Audiman shows it going the other way (see picture 3) !
    I've searched everywhere for an answer - but with no luck
    Hopefully one of you guys can tell me which is right??????
    Cheers.
    Alex
    Attached Files
    sigpic

When I changed renewed my all CV joints, my point of view is following:

In the picture shown above means it is outer CV of front axle (back CV joint is a little bit different);

In the kit delivered by local dealer was included: rubber, grease, shaft bolt (should be changed), spring (that holds CV un shaft) and is not seen in pictures above. That’s all. Two spring washers (1 picture) stay the same, just old grease has to be cleaned out, new one replaced.
    Important thing: when CV joint is disassembled, positions of balls after composition has to be the same.
    Audi RS2 600 hp
    Audi S2 1200 hp
    MB 230E '83
    https://www.facebook.com/ventracing.lv/

Comment

Completely edited...

What is the inside face of the plastic bearing like. I seem to remember it mates up better with one side of the washer than another. If I am honest, I would be less likely to trust the "bible" than Tom's photo!

I think when I did mine I worked it out based on where the old one as and this was confirmed by the way it "felt" when assembling the two parts. One way feels a lot better than the other.

Perhaps someone who has done it more than once can tell us....

HTH

Cheers,

Steve.

P.S. This handy too: http://www.s2-audi.co.uk/tech_articl...ot_replace.htm
      Last edited by Fat Audi 80; 1 December 2008, 15:53.
      The Perfectionist
      sigpic
      Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

Thanks Steve & Artis,
        Strange how some kits don't provide the plastic bush and thrust washer
        Anyhow, the plastic bush is def the right way round as its shamfered nose fits nicely against the chamfered recess on the joint.
        Unless anyone else knows for sure, I'm going to try it the way Audiman had it - I'll know if its not right because the clip wont seat into the joint properly.
        Cheers

Originally posted by Fat Audi 80 View Post
        Completely edited...

What is the inside face of the plastic bearing like. I seem to remember it mates up better with one side of the washer than another. If I am honest, I would be less likely to trust the "bible" than Tom's photo!

I think when I did mine I worked it out based on where the old one as and this was confirmed by the way it "felt" when assembling the two parts. One way feels a lot better than the other.

Perhaps someone who has done it more than once can tell us....

HTH

Cheers,

Steve.

P.S. This handy too: http://www.s2-audi.co.uk/tech_articl...ot_replace.htm
        sigpic

Comment

I've done this a few times and I think I did it the same as the pic on the right above. Just seemed to make sense at the time.

Comment

I can confirm that the Audiman picture is correct.
            It took a good few wallops to get it in, but once on, you can see inside the nose of the joint (where the hub bolt will go) and you can clearly see the clip just exposed meaning its sprung back and is holding the joint firm. The plastic bush and thrust washer are tight as a duck 'rse - ahhhhhh, 1 job done, 23,987 to go before she's back on the road
            sigpic

Comment

Just a quick note to remember guys..................

The pictures in the "bible" may not be an exact replication of what's on the car in question
              S2 Avant......fully loaded :rock: :bow: Slipper Wagons Rule !!!!!

Comment

Working...
              X