Gearbox knackered or Clutch fooked?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gearbox knackered or Clutch fooked?

Coming home tonight from the Visit to JP Exhausts (excellent place by the way - if you thinking of getting an exhaust, it's be daft not to see them first.) had a lil play with a bird in an MGF. Needless to say, not really a challenge... except... could not change into second till revs dropped to around 4.5-5k?

I've had this happen before. The wife blamed it on my crap gearchanging, till she found the same thing happened to her when 1st was taken to 7k rpm. Doesn't happen every single time, but when it does it feels like there is an iron bar over the gate into 2nd???

Any ideas? Needless to say it'd be mighty embarrassing to get down a 1/4 mile, hammer it in first, then roll for a while whist the revs drop low enough to go into gear...

I did explain to the chick in the MGF I'd missed my gear change, which was embarrassing enough, but at the next lights I changed at 5k in 1st and hammered 2nd to achieve the desired result.

Then I remembered about my poppable hoses and the fact I was 60 miles from home, so feather footed it the rest of the way

PJ
    'The Bacofoil Express'...

No more.

Leon TDI 150 run in now.

Very slow.

Needs a chip.

Originally posted by APNess
    I did explain to the chick in the MGF I'd missed my gear change, which was embarrassing enough...........PJ
    That's the worst excuse I've ever heard for chatting up a woman - even I wouldn't use that one
    Ex 1994 Avant - now driving a Lotus 340r

Comment

Agreed!

Sounds strange tho, is it just 2nd or 4th and 6th too?

Just thinking in case its a linkage problem???
      Ant

2007 Mk5 Golf GTi, 3 door, DSG, REVO Stg 2 and other goodies
      2011 Kawasaki Z1000

Comment

Originally posted by S2 Ant

Agreed!

Sounds strange tho, is it just 2nd or 4th and 6th too?

Just thinking in case its a linkage problem???
        Just changing from 1st to second, and only when I've bounced it off the red line...

No more.

Leon TDI 150 run in now.

Very slow.

Needs a chip.

Comment

Mine did the same when I bought it. Although not just at red line, mainly on fast gear changes.

I've replaced all the bushes and the ball at the bottom of the gear lever and the clutch master cylinder. The master cylinder pushrod had snapped so the clutch wasn't disengaging until the pedal was on the floor.

It's a lot better but still happens once in a blue moon.

Ben
          the best intentions are fraught with disappointment - gil grissom

sigpic
          1994 ABY Avant - it's getting there

Comment

Sounds like a syncro mesh problem on 2nd gear mate. Doh! Start saving for a nice gearbox rebuild.
            sigpic
            Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
            Audi UR Quattro
            Audi 100 C3 2.0 5 cyl 115ps
            Audi S2 - 07k engine project aiming for 800ps
            Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

Originally posted by audiman
              Sounds like a syncro mesh problem on 2nd gear mate. Doh! Start saving for a nice gearbox rebuild.
              Arggh!

**** it, I'll set off in 2nd from now on. The Mk4 GTi boys get better 0-60 times doing that anyway.

Only does it once in a while, and has done since I had the car, bought at 47k miles...

Where's that wa... ah, there ...

No more.

Leon TDI 150 run in now.

Very slow.

Needs a chip.

Comment

The wife blamed it on my crap gearchanging, till she found the same thing happened to her when 1st was taken to 7k rpm.
                You let your wife rev it up to 7k in first?!?

Well, perhaps that's the difference between being married and having a girlfriend. I'd never let my girlfriend take my S2 over 0,5 bar...
                Markus

'94 Kristallsilber-metallic S2 Avant.

Comment

LOL @0.5 bar!!

Same here, although girlfriend does like to drive the car fast Must get some leather seat cleaner
                  sigpic
                  Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
                  Audi UR Quattro
                  Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

Coming home tonight from the Visit to JP Exhausts (excellent place by the way - if you thinking of getting an exhaust, it's be daft not to see them first.) had a lil play with a bird in an MGF. Needless to say, not really a challenge... except... could not change into second till revs dropped to around 4.5-5k?

I've had this happen before. The wife blamed it on my crap gearchanging, till she found the same thing happened to her when 1st was taken to 7k rpm. Doesn't happen every single time, but when it does it feels like there is an iron bar over the gate into 2nd???

Any ideas? Needless to say it'd be mighty embarrassing to get down a 1/4 mile, hammer it in first, then roll for a while whist the revs drop low enough to go into gear...

I did explain to the chick in the MGF I'd missed my gear change, which was embarrassing enough, but at the next lights I changed at 5k in 1st and hammered 2nd to achieve the desired result.

Then I remembered about my poppable hoses and the fact I was 60 miles from home, so feather footed it the rest of the way

PJ

oh..it is bad...my problem is same with your problem Apness...but i have an CRB gearbox .... and my friend told me- im a gearbox killer...we now rebuilting the gearbox...the fault is the syncro mesh problem on 2nd gear mate...

i kill my mighty CRB gearbox....
                    Karel

:deviltail Hungarian Audi Hooligan :deviltail

Comment

Its very common for the syncro on 2nd to fail. These gearboxes are ****. I want a strong one
                      sigpic
                      Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
                      Audi UR Quattro
                      Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

Originally posted by audiman
                        Its very common for the syncro on 2nd to fail. These gearboxes are ****. I want a strong one

The CRB is the best choice...but very hard price....the strongest thing is the race gearbox with 5 speed,and this gearbox havent syncro...but 12000 €....

hmm....
                        Karel

:deviltail Hungarian Audi Hooligan :deviltail

Comment

Working...
                        X