No announcement yet.

Paddle clutches - is anyone using one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paddle clutches - is anyone using one?

As it says on the tin.... anyone using a paddle clutch on the road?

M
    Martyn
    -------------------------------------

www.vagparts.com

Originally posted by Martynf
    As it says on the tin.... anyone using a paddle clutch on the road?

M
    I have one installed. But my car is not ready yet

Comment

I am EAGERLY awaiting to hear from YOU! hope she's on the road soon...
      Martyn

www.vagparts.com

Comment

I have an Alcon 6 paddle clutch and lightwaight Fidanza flywheel fitted on my Lancer evo 5. Just got a standard one on my S2 though. I will help if you have any questions.

Cheers,
        Ste.

Comment

I think Tom C is thinking about using one after his latest 'upraded' one doesnt seem up to his heavy right foot!
          Was a '93 3B, Dont ask now tho......

Comment

Think Lee is also fitting one, as he bought Sweeper's unit.
            Ant

2007 Mk5 Golf GTi, 3 door, DSG, REVO Stg 2 and other goodies
            2011 Kawasaki Z1000

Comment

I was talking with Tom today about this and was looking for someone with a paddle to answer the question: Usuable or not in 'town traffic' ?
              Martyn

www.vagparts.com

Comment

One of my mates is using a Sachs paddle clutch on his 520+bhp RS4. He took me out for a spin last night and it was extremely useable in traffic. The biting point is shorter but he said it didn't take much to modify his driving style. He is using quite a heavy looking flywheel though so that may help matters. Don't forget guys that there are more than one type of paddle clutch. As well as different materials which will inherently behave differently, you can also get sprung centres or rigid centres. A sprung centre will give some compliance to make clutch control smoother. For higher torque carrying capability you have to go for a rigid centre which will be much more difficult to use in heavy traffic.
                1995 S2 Avant with some upgrades

Designun Limited....
                Aerospace, Space and Motorsport Design Consultancy and hardware supply.

Comment

Cheers Lee, what is that one you picked up recently?

Originally posted by Lee
                  One of my mates is using a Sachs paddle clutch on his 520+bhp RS4. He took me out for a spin last night and it was extremely useable in traffic. The biting point is shorter but he said it didn't take much to modify his driving style. He is using quite a heavy looking flywheel though so that may help matters. Don't forget guys that there are more than one type of paddle clutch. As well as different materials which will inherently behave differently, you can also get sprung centres or rigid centres. A sprung centre will give some compliance to make clutch control smoother. For higher torque carrying capability you have to go for a rigid centre which will be much more difficult to use in heavy traffic.
                  Martyn

www.vagparts.com

Comment

Sintered Sachs paddle. Sprung centre. Comes with uprated pressure plate but I haven't received it yet.

Designun Limited....

Comment

I agree with Lee. The one that I have is usable in heavy traffic. It just takes a while to adjust to the short biting point. The main thing that makes the differance on paddle clutches and how usable they are is the number of paddles. The more paddles the more usable. The one I have has six paddles, which is ok for day to day use. but if you go for any less than that you've got no chance! I've driven a rally prepared evo with a 3 paddle clutch and its basically either on or off. There is no biting point as such! It was verry hard to get used to. So just make sure that you go for 6 paddles or more and you should be fine with day to day use. One thing to remember though is not to ride these clutches. If your likely to do alot of hill starts etc. then I'd stay clear as they tend to burn out very quickely if you ride the clutch alot. There great for launches on the drag strip though!! :mischeif:

Hope this helps.

Ste.

Comment

With great thanks to Sweeper, I got my clutch today. It looks very sweet....can't wait to get it fitted now!! Not sure if it will be done by Billing but if it is anyone is welcome to give it a go.

Lee

Designun Limited....

Comment

Gonna order a helix paddle centre plate next week. Its a 4 paddle plate that is fixed, but i will just have to live with the on/off problem. Its not cheap, but i would love to be able to do 1/4 mile sprints and not worry about the clutch....(just the gearbox instead!!)

What i have now is fine for high output cars, but if you are wanting to drop the clutch a lot then it wont take it. Its great once the car is rolling tho, no probs what so ever.
                          sigpic
                          Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
                          Audi UR Quattro
                          Audi 100 C3 2.0 5 cyl 115ps
                          Audi S2 - 07k engine project aiming for 800ps
                          Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

Tom - is your current clutch as strong as mine, Steves, and Marks?

How vicious were you on your starts?
                            S2,RS2,S4 WB,RS4,S4 B8,RS6 C5,RS6 C6,R8

Comment

Yours are stronger, mine was the first clutch to be made and its not as strong as yours and Steve's etc.

Dont tell steve, but i was fairly aggressive on the starts Just that helix centre plate is mega money will cost me over 200 +VAT

But if you buy a complete helix clutch then it comes with the modified pressure plates like you already have. Complete kit is something like 500-600 pounds
                              sigpic
                              Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
                              Audi UR Quattro
                              Audi 100 C3 2.0 5 cyl 115ps
                              Audi S2 - 07k engine project aiming for 800ps
                              Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

Working...
                              X