How long to change clutch??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long to change clutch??

Just wandering how long it should take to change the clutch on my car. It is a 94 ABY S2 Avant.
    I took my car to a garage nearly a week ago now and there telling me that they still havent finished it yet!!! I cant believe how long it is taking. I had the clutch changed on my lancer evo a few months ago and the guy had it done in a day! Is it really that much of a hard job to do the clutch on these or am I getting taken for a ride by these jokers????

Where did you brought your car??

@ local audi dealers they will take their time
    They just work with standard procedures which they have for all models after 1998

But s2's are something different and you will pay the highest price

Will let you know how much it costs and how long it normally takes. (mine will be replaced next week, because of pulling my buddy out of the verge )

Cheers, floppy

Comment

They are having a laugh... It would take two skilled mechs a full day - maybe into two days if they get unlucky with something, but a week sounds like they aren't resourced or equipped properly. They could be just waiting on parts of course, but should tell you that if thats the case...
      Paul Nugent
      Webmaster http://S2central.net
      Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
      2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
      2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Hi, changed my cluch last week (Audi 200 20 quattro) It did take 4 full working days for me, all alone as a happy first timer.
        and yeah I was quite slow cleaning parts, you know putting new grease in the starter and so on, not much space under the car as it was on jackstands, and it take for ever (at least 5 hours) to get that needlebearing out of the crank, the Dremel tool finally solved it.
        And o yeah I had to saw off all the bolts to the exhuast as well with only a ironsawblade.

Next time I think I will do it in 2 full days no problemo, but I think it´s a little less space on the S2.
        Audi 200 20V (3B) avant

Comment

Cost me around 350 euro...

Comment

I bought 2 Lockheed oem clutch plates for my Morris MInor from a show for £5 each. It takes me about 1.5 hours to do the swap now....

I think the Audi would take me forever.

David

Comment

My clutch was done in Feb this year by Autopool and was 9 hours labour inc changing both Master and slave cylinders. I was very happy with the result although the bill was BIG!!

Sounds like your garage does not know what it is doing and/or are teling porkies....

I would highly recommend them and IIRC other people have used them and been very happy with the results...

HTH

Steve.
              The Perfectionist
              sigpic
              Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

Yeah it takes me about 6-7 hours to do my 3B on a ramp. Have done it now 4 times. A week maybe, but only if you are waiting for parts etc. Its not that bad a job.
                sigpic
                Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
                Audi UR Quattro
                Audi 100 C3 2.0 5 cyl 115ps
                Audi S2 - 07k engine project aiming for 800ps
                Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

It took us 6 hours..
                  www.irry.com

Comment

Cheers to everyone for the reply's!! Seems your a top bunch on this site!!
                    Im going to go round tonight after work if its ready or not and give them a good thrashing!!!
                    I know for a fact that they weren't waiting for the clutch to be delivered as I gave it them when I dropped the car off. Could have been waiting for gaskets etc. though.... I'll get to the bottom of this and let you all know how I get on!!!!

I cant wait to get the damn thing on the road though!!! I only managed to do 45miles in it from buying it before it f**ked up on me

Ah well cheers again lads!!

Ste.

Comment

Mine took 10 hours if I remember rightly. Done by a very experienced ex-VAG technician with no ramp (axel stand and jacks!). However, it only took him that long 'cos the thing had never been apart before and none of the bolts wanted to cooperate.

If the garage are not waiting on parts (which they shouldn't be - you can get a proper clutch kit from German&Swedish), it sounds like they don't know what they're up to. Surely they can't have actually been working on it all week

Cost me **** all too... 'cos Mr ex-VAG man is my brother
                      Last edited by 20vTurbo; 19 May 2004, 09:10.
                      '94 S2 (RS2+ spec. Tarmac Rally Car)
                      S2QuattroMotorsport

Comment

Originally posted by 20vTurbo
                        Mine took 10 hours if I remember rightly. Done by a very experienced ex-VAG technician with no ramp (axel stand and jacks!). However, it only took him that long 'cos the thing had never been apart before and none of the bolts wanted to cooperate.

Cost me **** all too... 'cos Mr ex-VAG man is my brother

20vTurbo, where abouts in Manchester do you live?? Douse your brother have his own garage?? If so would he be interested in doing work on my car in future??

Comment

Originally posted by stejames
                          20vTurbo, where abouts in Manchester do you live?? Douse your brother have his own garage?? If so would he be interested in doing work on my car in future??
                          I'm in Manchester yes, but my brother is in Sheffield!! At least it's a nice drive over the hills when I need something doing. He already does another S2 from Sheffield regularly... he's been doing that one for a good while now, and the fella seems very happy with the work. I'm sure he'd do yours too. He works for himself and shares a industrial unit with a guy who has a fleets of busses which he does all the work on too. I know I'll be biased 'cos he is my brother, but he is very good. He also converted my '91 Golf GTI cab. from a 1.8 8v to a 2.0 16v out of a Mk3. Currently he's in the process of building us both a track-day car based on Golf Syncro's. I never let anyone else touch my baby, including the dealers!

Not to rub it in or anything, he changed my cam-belt recently too... it cost me pennies
                          '94 S2 (RS2+ spec. Tarmac Rally Car)
                          S2QuattroMotorsport

Comment

Originally posted by Stick Insect
                            I bought 2 Lockheed oem clutch plates for my Morris MInor from a show for £5 each. It takes me about 1.5 hours to do the swap now....

I think the Audi would take me forever.

David
                            David - you can't win any of us round to the world of feckin Morris Minors by mentioning them in *every* post you know !

In the good old days, I could change a clutch on a Nova GSi in 20 mins and a gearbox in 10mins. I **** ye not - we modified the left chassis leg so that the cluster could be pulled out after about eight bolts removed on gearbox casing. Thems were the days - you had to do it that quick to avoid time penalties at service on the rallies. Ahhhh happy days.
                            Paul Nugent
                            Webmaster http://S2central.net
                            Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
                            2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
                            2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Originally posted by 20vTurbo
                              I'm in Manchester yes, but my brother is in Sheffield!! At least it's a nice drive over the hills when I need something doing. He already does another S2 from Sheffield regularly... he's been doing that one for a good while now, and the fella seems very happy with the work. I'm sure he'd do yours too. He works for himself and shares a industrial unit with a guy who has a fleets of busses which he does all the work on too. I know I'll be biased 'cos he is my brother, but he is very good. He also converted my '91 Golf GTI cab. from a 1.8 8v to a 2.0 16v out of a Mk3. Currently he's in the process of building us both a track-day car based on Golf Syncro's. I never let anyone else touch my baby, including the dealers!

Not to rub it in or anything, he changed my cam-belt recently too... it cost me pennies

Nice one mate!! Sounds good to me!

Could you PM me his details so I can contact him in future.

Cheers,
                              Ste.

PS whats your name??

Comment

Working...
                              X