Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gearbox removal guide leaving engine alone... (Thanks Aelred)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gearbox removal guide leaving engine alone... (Thanks Aelred)

Big Thanks to Aelred for this.........

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The get to the clutch out:
    If I were you I will make a cradle to fit a trolley jack to support the box so you can use that to do the lifting and dropping as the box is very heavy and even with 2 people it will be hard to lift the box in place and push it forward as you are working laying down. Your arms will get tired very quickly.

1 From memory you only have to disconnect the cats.
    2 Remove the steering rack the arms from the rack. The steering arms will have to be disconnected at the rack end and tie them up somewhere higher up then when bolted to the steering rack. This is because the bell housing has a square at the top that will not clear the arms if they are bolted up. The g/box has to go backwards before it can go down. The g/box has to go backwards before it can go down.

3 Undo prop and drive shafts at g/box end.
    4 undo the g/linkage at the gearbox end,
    5 undo the bolts on the sub frame rubber mounts
    6 remove Speedo and reversing light plugs
    7 undo the bell housing bolts and remove starter, (disconnect battery obviously)
    8 you could either undo the sub frame 4 bolts and let it hang or remove the g/box mounts. The engine will not fall out as it is supported on the chassis and by having the sub frame hanging it will give you more room, especially as you have some bell housing bolts that are difficult to remove with the sub frame in situ. The sub frame will be in your way a little and maybe you can tie out of the way.

9 jack up the front of the engine as far as it will go.
    10 Slide the gearbox out partially.
    11 before you totally drop the gearbox (about 6") remove the slave cylinder.
    12 drop the box. If you have a 6 speed box ABY engine there will also be a 10mm spacer all the way round the mating faces of the bellhop using and engine that will have to go back in place also.

I would suggest that you change the slave for a new one as it is a pig to change in situ #4A0 721 261 and bleeder #443 616 789

13 remove clutch and align and fit new one
    14 Make sure that you align the clutch splines with the centre of the spigot bearing if not you will never get the box back in. There are tools for doing this; I have done them by eye with a good degree of success.
    14 more or less refit is reversal of the above

MAKE SURE WHEN YOU SLIDE THE G/BOX BACK IN THE PIPE TO THE HEATER MATRIX DOES NOT GET JAMMED BETWEEN ENGINE AND BELL HOUSING WITH ITS "L" BRACKET AND ANY ELECTRICAL WIRES ARE WAY AWAY I TEND TO CABLE TIE THEM OUT OF THE WAY FROM THE START
    Bleed new slave.
    Ideally you need a workshop ramp as you will be working under, above, under above many times and also a transmission jack to support the g/box.
    You will need a helping hand as the g/box is very heavy, I would not do it on my own if I can help it.

I have done this on the floor with no ramp but it is a little of a pig as you can only jack up the car so far and you will have little room

If all goes well you should be able to do it in a full day

Good luck and let me know if i can be of some help.

Another alternative will be to remove the complete engine gearbox from the front, but this will take you longer

Rgds

Aelred
    The Perfectionist
    sigpic
    Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Thanks for this guide.

Im going to be doing this in the next week. Need to replace the clutch asap as its about to die completely.
    Luckily its a 5speed but i am doing it on my own with out a ramp or pit.

I think ill refurbish the subframe and wishbones while I'm at it too.
    91 S2 coupé - RIP
    98 S8 - Luxury barge

Comment

Originally posted by s2_bo View Post
      Thanks for this guide.

Im going to be doing this in the next week. Need to replace the clutch asap as its about to die completely.
      Luckily its a 5speed but i am doing it on my own with out a ramp or pit.

I think ill refurbish the subframe and wishbones while I'm at it too.
      Excellent guide.... I too have just done this myself, on stands, part in and part outside a domestic garage.... make sure you wear old clothes and have something soft to lie on....

Good luck...!

Chris
      Last edited by LHD_Kid; 4 November 2009, 18:51. Reason: typo
      Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird Turbo....undergoing major changes.....
      S2 Coupe... bit easier off the line...
      '03 ZX12-R daily hack.... lots of nice bolt ons...

Comment

I'm in the middle of this LOL, just in for a cuppa. Been at it since 11.30 today, gearbox isnt out yet. Never worked on an S2 before so it's taking a tad longer than it should, I've done an 80 tdi before but this is a wee bit different.
        1996 Audi S6 Avant.
        1994 80 TDI - Daily Driver

Comment

Good luck gunman and good on you for taking on this task!
          91 S2 coupé - RIP
          98 S8 - Luxury barge

Comment

think id still rather take the engine out..

Comment

Yeah, nothing worse than lying on your back with little to no wiggle room with a 200 lb lump on your chest!
              Ben
              Calgary, Alberta
              Canada
              1991 CQ e//S2 w/ RS2 spec 3B 20vt
              Panther Black Metallic
              www.moda-architecture.ca

Comment

That's a heavy beast of a gearbox. Seem to have most of the car dismantled to get it out , took the subframe out as it gave more access.
                1996 Audi S6 Avant.

Comment

Originally posted by pixsaudisex2 View Post
                  think id still rather take the engine out..
                  I agree...and remember the procon system when taking out box
                  93 S2 Avant Parting
                  91 URQ RR
                  02 A4 tdi Avant

Comment

After changing the clutch by taking the gearbox out , I can whole heartedly recommend taking the engine out instead. I would imagine it is a 'nicer' way of doing things.

Many thanks for this guide tho.
                    1996 Audi S6 Avant.

Comment

So the consensus is taking the engine off?

If doing uprated rods at the same time, taking the engine and gearbox out with those little 'engine cranes' would even be more beneficial..am I right?
                      It would also allow to take care of engine and tranny mounts easier. (?)

Thanks

Comment

I had to take the box out of my fwd coupe a few years ago to get it repaired and it wasnt to bad as i had a pit to work in and no prop to get in the way. Just make sure you get everything you can out of the way so there is plenty of space to move the box. Also be sure you take all the bolts out between the box and motor as it might waste about half an hour of your time.haha oops!!!!

Comment

I think it depends on the facilities you have. If you don't have a pit or any way of getting the car up in the air but still level then engine out is the way.

I've had to do it twice but I went the engine out route both times because for me it was easier to suspend the engine from the roof and push the car backwards away from the engine. Bonus is there's no danger of a very heavy gearbox on top of you and there's a couple of engine hoses and thermostat you can change easily whilst you're at it. You don't even have to change the oil, you can leave it in!

John

Comment

Ok and for the changing of the rods, what would be the procedure of choice?
                            Thanks again, just starting in these matters...

Comment

Originally posted by 20comer View Post
                              So the consensus is taking the engine off?

If doing uprated rods at the same time, taking the engine and gearbox out with those little 'engine cranes' would even be more beneficial..am I right?
                              It would also allow to take care of engine and tranny mounts easier. (?)

Thanks
                              If you have access to a hoist I would lift the engine out the front leaving the gearbox in the car.

That is easy to do on a driveway by yourself (just done it to a 7a).
                              Current-2004 Impreza PPP wagon

Sold-92 3B coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, rear torsen, forged rods........
                              Sold ABY-stock

Comment

Working...
                              X