Gears wont select - help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gears wont select - help please

Selecting gears is an issue for 1st and especially reverse. ( avant ABY 94)

I can only put this dow n to the linkage as had a new RS2 clutch out in.

Help please as dont know how to correct this.

Many thanks

J
    S2 Avant ABY

hi j, id say it sounds like the linkage too, im not really to sure how to change maybe worth gettin it on a ramp, also when puttin it into reverse can you push down on the stick to select reverse easyly

Comment

There's a plate under the interior trim taht can be adjusted, might be worth looking at this too as mine was out when I got the car.
      Cheers'en, AndyC
      1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

Interior trim?

There is a dog leg linkage and arm that sits up above the gear box?
        S2 Avant ABY

Comment

I think Andy means the connection at the very bottom of the gear lever, if you get under the car you will see a 13mm nut at the bottom of the shaft, slack it off, get a helper to sit in the car and hold the lever where you think the neutral position should be, then nip the nut back up and re-test.
          91CQ20v - Gone to a new home
          93UR-S4 - The Magic Carpet
          94S2Bus - The Emerald Express

Comment

I bet this is the ball joint at the box end or something loose / broken in the linkage.. had similar issues with my 5 speed linkage when the UJ had disintegrated - couldn't get into 3rd or 5th properly:

This was the problem:

Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
            Indigo ABY coupé
            Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Should the linkage have any play in it?

Mine has so have added washers and a sleeve to sit insidemthe bush?

Ideas?
              S2 Avant ABY

Comment

Hmmmmmm

Where does this link to?
                S2 Avant ABY

Comment

The front pivot point with two plastic bushings should be tight with less than 1mm play, adding small shims to tighten the linkage isnt a bad idea. The ball join part with the rubber boot should be tight side to side, forwards and backwards. The up and down movement however is a loose fit as it dosent take any load in that direction. Any wear and free play with almost always be inside the ball joint. As per above proper adjustment may be all thats required if 1st/2nd/reverse are hard to find.

Above pic is for 5speed gearbox's only, 6speeds have a much more complicated setup.
                  91CQ20v - Gone to a new home
                  93UR-S4 - The Magic Carpet
                  94S2Bus - The Emerald Express

Comment

That makes sense.

Sounds like the ball joint is the issue.

What is the best way to access this as no doubt the worng way will incure more problems?

Thanks, all every helpful

S2 Avant ABY

Comment

Originally posted by mcandmar View Post
                      I think Andy means the connection at the very bottom of the gear lever, if you get under the car you will see a 13mm nut at the bottom of the shaft, slack it off, get a helper to sit in the car and hold the lever where you think the neutral position should be, then nip the nut back up and re-test.
                      There's a procedure for setting this in the Audi shop manual as I had to do mine when I fitted the 6speed box. From memory, you undo the 13mm nut and let the lever centre itself. Then, whilst sitting in the car, pull the lever 8° towards you, centre it again and then push it 5° away from you and hold it there, then get somebody else to tighten the nut. I guessed on the degees bit but it worked first time and meant I could now get all the gears.
                      The manuals are available to download from Mikes S2 website.
                      sigpic
                      1991 Audi S2 3B - 2.5 Stroker engine
                      1997 A6 2.5TDi quattro avant - C4
                      1976 RD250E / 350LC cafe racer

Comment

Originally posted by mcandmar View Post
                        Nah, there is a plate that sits inside the passenger compartment under the trim, it can rotate and is basically the stop for the 1st/2nd gate. Worth checking. I used to hit reverse instead of 1st and this was the key to sorting it.
                        Cheers'en, AndyC
                        1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

Originally posted by AndyP View Post
                          There's a procedure for setting this in the Audi shop manual as I had to do mine when I fitted the 6speed box. From memory, you undo the 13mm nut and let the lever centre itself. Then, whilst sitting in the car, pull the lever 8° towards you, centre it again and then push it 5° away from you and hold it there, then get somebody else to tighten the nut. I guessed on the degees bit but it worked first time and meant I could now get all the gears.
                          The manuals are available to download from Mikes S2 website.
                          If it was that simple it would be great. lets hope so

Have you the link to mikes site ..

Thanks bud
                          S2 Avant ABY

Comment

http://www.s2-audi.co.uk/work_shop.htm

Edit : Just noticed that the transmission one is not on there any more. I'll have a look when I get home and check the procedure.
                            sigpic
                            1991 Audi S2 3B - 2.5 Stroker engine
                            1997 A6 2.5TDi quattro avant - C4
                            1976 RD250E / 350LC cafe racer

Comment

Thanks bud

V helpful

S2 Avant ABY

Comment

Working...
                              X