Clutch Pedal Pressure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch Pedal Pressure

Could I get some feedback from a couple of you ABY guys and your clutch pedals, just how stiff is your peddle?

My pedal was always really stiff but having a bad left knee it seems to be getting worse (the knee that is) is there any way to ease the stifness from the pedal?

Cheers

Mark
    93 S2

Good post Mark!!

We sort of touched this subject a little while ago on another thread. It's another can of worms it would appear

Mine is quite firm for sure, or so the wife tells me :-) and so is the pedal . I've only recently driven one other S2 ABY Avant, 120K miles and the clutch was feather light! miles lighter than mine!

This kinda leads into the interesting part...one of the guys posted a message saying he had had 2 clutch master cylinder rods snap in very close succession!! maybe ...... because the clutch fingers were heavy (wearing out). Clutches getting 'heavy' (or put another way, getting harder to use than they used to be) is normally a sure fire sign that the clutch is getting near the end of its life. Maybe they'll have miles more life left in them, but it is the beginning.

I'd say mine is slightly harder than it should be (but I am guessing) as the other S2 I drove was a fair bit lighter than mine.

So, ways to ease the stiffness?? well maybe the clutch is getting close to the end of its life and we all know what that means. Time to get your hands dirty fixing it :-) OR..... I wonder.... anyone have any views on the brake fluid needing changing, maybe that would ligthen it???? anyone BTDT?????

Martyn
    Martyn
    -------------------------------------

www.vagparts.com

Comment

Wheres the quick fix answer Martyn, can I just not plug a in to b and fold at c and everything will be fixed at the pricely sum of 10 quid

The car has 125k on it and I had the fluid flushed and replaced about 5k ago and it didn't make any difference.

I think if memory serves me right theres a fair bit of time involved with replacing the clutch on the S2 yes/no?

Cheers

Mark
      93 S2

Comment

The main reason for a clutch becoming heavy is the actual clutch itself as Martyn said, but, the other reason is that where the release bearing runs it creates some light grooves and this make the bearing stick on the shaft causing it to feel heavy, normally happens due to lack of lubrication on the shaft. This is a gearbox out job to rectify. Either new clutch or smooth off the shaft with some fine emery and use some special clutch spline grease. Its a very sticky grease that doesn't wash off or go hard with age.
        sigpic
        Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
        Audi UR Quattro
        Audi 100 C3 2.0 5 cyl 115ps
        Audi S2 - 07k engine project aiming for 800ps
        Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

Working...
        X