Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just done a service.

Hi there,
    My car was due a service so today i done engine oil diff oil and gearbox oil, the diff fill plug was seized solid, however my mini battery rattle gun got both plugs out easily, the fill plug just took a bit of working forwards and backwards to beat the seizure, i got 1.2L out of the diff and put back 1.3L. The gearbox gave 2.2L of oil and i put back 2.3L--she runs smooth as ever now. The gearbox plug was spotless and the oil was not too bad either, the diff oil wa snot too bad but the plug had a few tiny metal shards on it so i'll keep an eye on that. Filling the gear box looked like it was going to be a nightmare, but turned out easy-- it took 10 mins to fill. I got a 2 foot length of copper 15mm pipe and folded one end into a 75-80 degree elbow. Put the steering on full right lock and it fitted into the hole perfectly. Then put the oil into a dry 600ml water bottle with the cap drilled and a piece of 8mm tube pushed in tightly, put theother end into the copper pipe and squeezed the bottle, 3.5 bottles later and the level was perfect and i never spilled a drop.
    I also serviced the missus subaru while i was working, new plugs, air filter, oil and oil filter. God they are an easy car to service.
    So all in all a good day
    Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.--:Albert Einstein

Nice to hear it all went easy enough, how's the car handling the weather over there? suppose heats the only downside when sitting in traffic?

Is the car one you took over with you or one that you purchased over there?

Comment

Good work, nothing like a service to make it all silky smooth again
      Cheers'en, AndyC
      1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

Perfect timing Graham - I need to do this on mine. Have all the new synth oil and shiny new tranny plugs. That sounds more exotic than you servicing your missus ...
        Paul Nugent
        Webmaster http://S2central.net
        Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
        2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
        2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Rear diff plugs are a mare, mine is solid so had to syphon out old fluid through the filler. Noise was the centre bearing anyway, still not done that
          Cheers'en, AndyC
          1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

Originally posted by Acidburn View Post
            Nice to hear it all went easy enough, how's the car handling the weather over there? suppose heats the only downside when sitting in traffic?

Is the car one you took over with you or one that you purchased over there?

Yeah i have had it for 8 years now and still it puts a smile on my face when ever i give it a blast. I just cant believe how much these engines can take as i am not exactly "gentle" with her:mischeif:.
            The car handles the heat suprisingly well, it has not got the Aux rad and i have tried repeatedly to get one but they just keep on going missing in the post Poor Jason had a nightmare trying to get one to me in the end we gave up.

Perfect timing Graham - I need to do this on mine. Have all the new synth oil and shiny new tranny plugs. That sounds more exotic than you servicing your missus ...
            We'll not go there:mischeif:, the Subaru was very easy to service, was quite impressed--the Italians could do with taking a leaf out of there book having serviced many Fiats and Alfa's over the years---hate them with avengance.

Rear diff plugs are a mare, mine is solid so had to syphon out old fluid through the filler. Noise was the centre bearing anyway, still not done that
            The filler plug was corroded and seized to hell, breaker bar wouldnt touch it, but my 1/2" 12V rattle gun got it after a bit of forward/reverse action. Its a little beauty. Next job is the strut tops.
            Graham
            Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.--:Albert Einstein

Comment

after these comments i just bought all 4 drain/filler plugs for my upcomming drivetrain overhaul.....and then new seals, some wheel bearings.....now i'm £200 less well off.....these parts places are dangerous!
              out of interest, what oil did you all put in your gearboxes? i got some redline MT90, have heard good reviews from it and stiglet found the box shifted a bit smoother IIRC

Ant
              91' Coupe quattro 20v - project
              KW V2s and other goodies
              now gone
              03' BMW 330CI - Sold
              08' A5 Coupe 3.0l tdi quattro - Sold
              57' BMW 525d M Sport Touring

Comment

I have used Castrol Syntrax fully synthetic 75W90 in the gearbox and diff

Comment

Working...
                X