Trouble selecting gears.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trouble selecting gears.

This morning whilst driving along I couldn't change up gear (1st to 2nd I think It was).

I was still able to select third, fourth and fifth gears. I nursed the car to a safe place to pull over and then found I couldn't select any gears including reverse.

Upon depressing the clutch with the engine running I could hear unusual "rotational sounds" coming from the gearbox area I think.

If I switched the engine off I could select all the gears with ease.

Starting the car up again I was able to wrestle the gearbox into third and get the car home.

Any idea what the problem could be?

Thanks.
    Last edited by Nuvo; 9 June 2009, 12:29.

Clutch Master cylinder push rod about to fail... You are not getting full clutch release.

That would be my bet.

HTH

Cheers,

Steve.
    The Perfectionist
    sigpic
    Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

Thanks Steve, I'll check that. Although I'm thinking that if the push rod was bent then I wouldn't be able to depress the clutch fully to the floor (which I can).

Comment

IIRC with the pushrod bent the clutch pedal still goes to the floor, it just doesn't depress the master cylinder enough to disengage the clutch.

Is the action still smooth or does it feel more crunchy?

Cheers,

Steve.
        The Perfectionist
        sigpic
        Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

Okay I follow. Clutch pedal action seems normal to me.

Comment

Working...
          X