ABY swap... stock 7a clutch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ABY swap... stock 7a clutch?

So guys. im about to throw an ABY s2 motor into my 91 coupe quattro 20v car.

Im wondering with the stock ABY if my 7a clutch and flywheel will be sufficient. Obviously when i go to upgrade more i will be upgrading my clutch. But for not im curious if i can skate by without having to replace the clutch.

Any info would be so helpful.

Thanks
    The New
    1991 Audi Coupe Quattro
    ABY on the way?
    1973 Porsche 914 2.0
    father son project
    The Old
    1990 audi 90q 20v, 1986 Audi 4000q WX-10vt, 1997 Audi A4qtm APR stage 3, 1990 coupe quattro project

Hmmm.. might be ok with stock ABY power, but wouldn't count on it - for the cost of a stock 3B clutch i'd just fit it and forget TBH
    Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
    Indigo ABY coupé
    Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

I'd agree - little extra money for a 3B clutch - versus the ballache of pulling the box at a later date if the tired 7A original starts to complain with the extra torque demands from ABY motor.
      Paul Nugent
      Webmaster http://S2central.net
      Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
      2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
      2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Originally posted by S2central.net View Post
        I'd agree - little extra money for a 3B clutch - versus the ballache of pulling the box at a later date if the tired 7A original starts to complain with the extra torque demands from ABY motor.
        So paul,

If im going to end up going with one of these "Homefries"... will i be fine with a a 3b clutch... or will i need to go above and beyond a 3b to not have any problems.
        The New
        1991 Audi Coupe Quattro
        ABY on the way?
        1973 Porsche 914 2.0
        father son project
        The Old
        1990 audi 90q 20v, 1986 Audi 4000q WX-10vt, 1997 Audi A4qtm APR stage 3, 1990 coupe quattro project

Comment

3B clutch be fine

Comment

Keep in mind also all these replies are assuming that you are swapping out the ABY Dual mass flywheel. Basically you want to keep your 7a flywheel and put it on your aby, then use a 3b clutch or better. I'm in the process of doing a very similar swap (as you know), and yeah you could use the stock clutch, but if you are already in there, why not save your self the time and the effort and just do it right the first time. The last thing you want to do is get everything swapped and running, only to have your clutch burn out...

Comment

Working...
            X