issue re-fitting hubs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• issue re-fitting hubs

having real trouble today re-fitting my hubs, the driveshafts are back off the car bug the cv flange just wont go into the hub, its like it doesnt fit, decided to try the old ones (changing to 5 stud and new s2 driveshafts) one of the old driveshafts slides in easily but the other has the same issue, it just wont go in

they feel like the splines are lining up and i guess thay hay go in if i hammer or pull them in using the screw but i REALLY dont like the idea of that as it wouldn;t be the first time i stripped splines that way! not sure what to do from here, i have cleanes ip the splines and the hub and used a bit of grease and still nothing......anybody else had this issue??

cheers
    Ant
    91' Coupe quattro 20v - project
    KW V2s and other goodies
    now gone
    03' BMW 330CI - Sold
    08' A5 Coupe 3.0l tdi quattro - Sold
    57' BMW 525d M Sport Touring

think the splines are different, iirc they have 8 less splines than v6 and s2 one's, jas11n commented about the difference in his sooty thread.

Comment

they are S2 driveshafts and S2 5 stud hubs so dont think that can be the case, unless they changed something through the s2 lifespan??

Ant
      KW V2s and other goodies
      now gone
      03' BMW 330CI - Sold

Comment

I doubt it, sounds a bit wierd, definately coupe one's and not some bodge job or one's from a urs4 or something?

Comment

well the hubs are from Als old S2 avant that re2500 bought so i know they are good, the driveshafts i bought a while back with an aby prop too so i seriously doubt they would be different...
          tbh it seems like the splines line up and there are the right number, also seems really strange that the old ones that came off how the same problem as i know they came off together could it be something like i need to heat them up to get them on?

Ant
          KW V2s and other goodies
          now gone
          03' BMW 330CI - Sold

Comment

which ones are you trying first off, i'm hoping and presuming the front ones as afaik rear avant one's are different (sorry have to ask)

have you inspected the inside of the hub?

Comment

lol yes the fronts, there doesn't seem to be any scoring or damadge and the cv is fine too, i cant see too well into the hub tho so perhaps there is something in there preventing fitment. think the vernier caliper and file might be my friend for this one

Ant
              KW V2s and other goodies
              now gone
              03' BMW 330CI - Sold

Comment

the CQ20 cvs should fit in at least - if not then its a problem with the hub dude
                Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                Indigo ABY coupé
                Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

well, had a thought last night when thinking about my old hubs and driveshafts, the only thing that has changed since they were together was being pressed out of the hub. therefore thats where something has happened, uppon closer inspection of the very edge it appears that the garage has pressed all four of my hubs out using the splines so the ends are basically very slightly flared so SERIOUSLY PISSED at the garage and going to see the manager as soon as they open! unfortunaltely the car is going to be put on a trailer tomo so dont have time to mess about, i'll demand my money back at the very least tho.

Ant
                  KW V2s and other goodies
                  now gone
                  03' BMW 330CI - Sold

Comment

No way, that sucks dude

can you "fix" it with a needle file or anything mate?
                    Indigo ABY coupé
                    Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

or a dremel
                      91CQ20v - Gone to a new home
                      93UR-S4 - The Magic Carpet
                      94S2Bus - The Emerald Express

Comment

The Perfectionist
                        sigpic
                        Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

Indigo ABY coupé
                          Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

i'll have to wait and see, had to put them on the car without driveshafts for now to transport it to its new home but the garage said if i got them too them they will fix them so will just do that as i cant be bothered to sit filing away for hours lol joking aside, a dremel may be the best bet. up to them now tho....

Ant
                            KW V2s and other goodies
                            now gone
                            03' BMW 330CI - Sold

Comment

Originally posted by anton View Post
                              i'll have to wait and see, had to put them on the car without driveshafts for now to transport it to its new home but the garage said if i got them too them they will fix them so will just do that as i cant be bothered to sit filing away for hours lol joking aside, a dremel may be the best bet. up to them now tho....

Ant
                              let me know how you get on, at worse I know of a set of s2 hubs.

Comment

Working...
                              X