rear diff driveflange play

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rear diff driveflange play

I have replaced the seals on my 1995 coupe rear diff, have put the driveflanges back in and torqued them up, the offside (not the diff lock side) pulls in and out of the diff about 4mm with a definate clunk, can't say I noticed it when stripping it down.
    Is there a right or wrong way to put the flanges in or is this normal.

cheers,

Andy.
    ruby red, aby coupe

have you refitted the flange bolts? IIRC the flanges are sided too
    Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
    Indigo ABY coupé
    Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Originally posted by Error404 View Post
      have you refitted the flange bolts? IIRC the flanges are sided too
      If you mean the single bolt in the center of each flange then this is the one that has been torqued up, when it is moving in and out it does not slide on the bolt the center allen bolt is tight up and moves with it,
      ruby red, aby coupe

Comment

what about the other flange? Does it move side to side with the other one?

If so sounds like you forgot to refit the bearing shims and the whole diff is loose in the casing
        Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
        Indigo ABY coupé
        Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Originally posted by Error404 View Post
          what about the other flange? Does it move side to side with the other one?

If so sounds like you forgot to refit the bearing shims and the whole diff is loose in the casing
          there it a little bit of play on the other side but not as much as the offside, it is not in snyc with the other side they move independant of each other.

I only replaced both driveshaft flange seals, when taking them I dont recall any shims coming out with them or can they have fallen inside the diff.

The driveshafts are bolted up and the play is the same but the car is axle stands, tis just a thought but when it is on its wheels will it put pressure on the flanges keeping them pushed towards the diff?
          ruby red, aby coupe

Comment

Working...
          X