• Show
Clear All

• Gear selection problems.....

1991 S2 3B

After a gb rebuild & new clutch I am having terrible trouble;
    -selecting any gear/reverse when stationary
    -selecting any gear/reverse when moving faster than 1mph
    -selecting any gear/reverse when engine running/not running
    -selecting any gear/reverse when shifting fast/slow, rev matching/not, gentle/hard, cold/hot

OK, occasionally it is not too bad, but when it works it still feels notchy/almost grindy.

It feels like you're trying to put it into 1st at 50mph-it just wont go. Sometimes have to coast to a stop from 4th cause wont go into any gear once out of 4th!

Don't think its the clutch as dosen't crunch when it does go into reverse (unless thats cause of synchromesh?), and it does it with engine off. Sometimes if it will go into 3rd or 4th when stationary, then it will go into 1st. 4th to 5th is OK when moving.

If it rolls an inch then it normally goes, but on level ground at traffic lights at the front of an irate queue in front of a police car, it's getting a bit embarrassing

Rebuild was done professionally, clutch/fitting was done by trusted mechanic, have done 500 miles or so since & still just as bad. Gear change was OK before rebuild.

Any ideas greatly appreciated, sorry to drone on,

Jonny
    Specific power graph

I have this same problem with my mk4 golf.

The gearbox broke a small rivet or something (which also took out the clutch), so we had a trust garage send it off for an aluminium weld of the rivet.

Before the gb broke it was hard to get it into gears, then when the rivet broke it was fine, but leaking oil everywhere.

After the fix it was notchy... but a couple of months later and the gearbox has exactly the same symptoms as your describing!! the garage say it could be the gear linkage which could explain not selecting the gears straight away, but they say its not garanteed that is the problem.

Definatly not the clutch as mine is brand new and still having problems.

I think either linkage or dodgy rebuild sorry to say.

Chris
    2.3 10v Quattro project so far: Bought for £400, lowering springs.

Comment

Worn linkage or out of adjustment? ..only part you haven't rebuilt or replaced.
      91CQ20v - Gone to a new home
      93UR-S4 - The Magic Carpet
      94S2Bus - The Emerald Express

Comment

Any luck with the gearbox?

Chris
        2.3 10v Quattro project so far: Bought for £400, lowering springs.

Comment

Originally posted by mcandmar View Post
          Worn linkage or out of adjustment? ..only part you haven't rebuilt or replaced.
          When i put my box in and did not aline the linkage this is exactly how it felt
          Chef

Comment

Working...
          X