noise in first gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• noise in first gear

Have a noise in first gear on my ABY S2, 6 speed box, the noise comes in as soon as you pull away in 1st gear and noise kind of increases with road speed and goes away as soon as you take it out of gear into neutral or change upto 2nd. its quiet in all other gears.

any common problems? is it supposed to be noisey? straight cut gear?
    facebook

Hi. Mine does exactly the same. Try and change the oil on the gearbox. It might work. (I haven't got the time to do it on mine yet)

Comment

Dose it sound like its in reverse ?

See this thread:

http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40394
      sigpic
      "For what you spent on that you could have brought a new car"
      BUT I DON'T WANT A NEW CAR!

1995 S2 Avant, Volcano Black
      1982 VW Golf Mk1, primer yellow, will be finished one day, maybe.
      2003 VW T4 long nose X pack, (has become project)

Comment

If it's a ticking noise see here:-

http://www.elektro.com/~audi/01E/ind5.html

Had this on the 6 speed gearbox in my S4, it did it all the time I owned the car and never got any worse, was just annoying. Change the oil and turn the stereo up
        sigpic
        1991 Audi S2 3B - 2.5 Stroker engine
        1997 A6 2.5TDi quattro avant - C4
        1976 RD250E / 350LC cafe racer

Comment

its quite a low pitch noise, not a ticking, its a constant noise, sounds like the gear isnt quite meshing properly, similar to the noise you get from a straight cut gear.. i'll try an oil change when i get time.. any ideas on grade for the gearbox? thanks
          facebook

Comment

My S2 is the same and so is my brothers 2.7tt S4, i aint worried about this.
            Probably the longet S2 project in history EVER!

Comment

I have just purchased a 92 UrS4 and 1st gear is exactly the same as described, drives ok and all other gears are fine.
              I was aware of this problem with the early 6 speed boxes as I have a 95 S6 with no problems at all.
              I believe the best advice is change the oil and dont thrash 1st gear!!

Comment

Originally posted by ade View Post
                any common problems? is it supposed to be noisey? straight cut gear?
                The gear teeth on your first gear are damaged, likely the result of one or more high RPM clutch drops. The only 01E transmissions that have any real hope of surviving that kind of abuse is the CRB from the RS2. Even then, the limits of "safety" can be exceeded, resulting in first gear teeth chipping or galling.

The fix is very expensive since first gear is an integral part of the main shaft, not a separate gear.
                RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
                94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

Originally posted by UrS4boy View Post
                  The gear teeth on your first gear are damaged, likely the result of one or more high RPM clutch drops. The only 01E transmissions that have any real hope of surviving that kind of abuse is the CRB from the RS2. Even then, the limits of "safety" can be exceeded, resulting in first gear teeth chipping or galling.

The fix is very expensive since first gear is an integral part of the main shaft, not a separate gear.
                  My S6 has 163,00 on it now (bought at 126,000) and first gear has always had this exact sound too. I know it may go one day but i still hammer 1st quite a bit But my UrS4 has 202,000 it and 1st is silent Different lifes/drivers i suppose???

I have been told that the 2.7 S4 box fits and has a 'wider' first gear. Not sure what this means but thats the route i'll go when mine explodes

Comment

Mine is still making the "reversing noise" in 1st don't care when it turns to thousands of pieces of metal all over the floor ill do something about it and change the clutch at the same time
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by rj scotty View Post
                      Mine is still making the "reversing noise" in 1st don't care when it turns to thousands of pieces of metal all over the floor ill do something about it and change the clutch at the same time
                      Thats EXACTLY my thoughts with mine too! Plus a solid flywheel.

Its bound to happen somewhere lots of people can point and laugh though

Comment

just pretend you meant to park there
                        sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X