National "Have a Look Underneath" Week

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• National "Have a Look Underneath" Week

It amazes me sometimes that people buy quattros because they're quattros and never look at the bit they're actually buying - the bit underneath.

So here's a cautionary tale, names deleted to protect the guilty. I was looking at someone's car ("Very nice!") and decided to take a shufti underneath. What I found made my hair stand on end - wherever it is. Anyway, the upshot:

Front left diff seal, ur-quattro. The oil mess is instantly visible with a single glance under the car - but notice the "oil wash" on the cast webs to the right (i.e. rear) of the seal. This is a BIG leak.

The gearbox drain plug gave up something under a litre of black stuff which curiously didn't stink at all. The problem turned out to be a badly fitted replacement seal - it had worn through to the point where the spring around the inside of the lip was showing through. Replaced everything, refilled the gearbox/diff oil and spun the gearbox - it now changes 250% [owner] better. My worry is that the differential now seems to have far too much slack.

PLEASE guys - look underneath at least once a month.

Great bit of advice, I'm lucky enough to have a pit and I check all my vehicles fairly regularly.
    1989 B3 2.0 3A 80 quattro... Budget 1.8T Project.
    1992 C4 100 2.8 Avant quattro... Mobile Sitting Room.
    1995 RS2... MTM K26/7 380 BHP Conversion.
    1990 Corrado G60... Breaking For Parts.

Comment

flashback, afternoon before my Ring trip getting the car 4-wheel aligned and the tech popped his head up from the pit and said, blimey your rear diff is p*ssing fluid out! Always check under the car now but even having cleaned up and checked checked and triple checked, its started to weep again.

Any tips to make sure next time its changed (the big one) that it remains dry?

Cheers
      David
      sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Working...
      X