Large Thud under hard gear change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Large Thud under hard gear change

There is a loud clunk/thud that comes from the rear of my ABY, it only happens under hard acceleration, or coming off throttle instantly at high rpm.

I believe its either the rear differential or rear right CV joint and there may be some play in the driveshaft, hence the clunk is the shaft trying to catch up with the transmission once the clutch has been released.

Anyone have this problem before or any ideas how to check or solve the problem

many thanks

chris

Diff mount?
    Shane

Comment

Thats one of the things i have on my check list for the weekend. I hope to god its not the diff cant afford to replace that.

Comment

could be the rear diff mount has given up or incorrect backlash adjustment in the rear diff.
        Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
        Indigo ABY coupé
        Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

another vote for the rear diff mount(s)

Alex, any details on how to reduce backlash on the diff...shims i presume?
          sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Rear diff mount, had it on my old Coupe until I went for a powerflex mount.

Comment

I need to do mine, not had time since I took my diff off rolleyes:
              There are shims behind the outer races of the diff bearings in the casing and the cover.
              You have to press out the races and redistribute the shims between the two sides to adjust the backlash against the pinion. You start off by checking the float between the races without any shims in place. then add the pre-load spec (something like 0.25mm - in the factory manual somewhere). This gives you the total shim dimension. Then you have to distribute shims to this overall dimension between the two races to achieve the right backlash specification.
              I've got a PDF of the factory proceedure for it somewhere on my PC at home if you need
              Indigo ABY coupé
              Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

sounds complex so probably something for me to worry about on my return from the Ring providing the car gets round it in one piece

WOuld be good to sort it out though...plenty of lash in mine though. does that mean there is also a similar procedure for the front diff too?
                sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

yup! not a 5 minute job, similar story for the front diff too - you'd need the box off for that I'd guess
                  Indigo ABY coupé
                  Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Alex - any chance you can post the shim details?
                    sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

PM me your email I'll send you some info mate
                      Indigo ABY coupé
                      Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

I've had this on mine for a while too, i've kinda adapted my driving style and feather the throttle to suit. I really do need to get it sorted too if you've got the shim details.

Comment

If the diff mount looks OK then check that the bolt is tight - that was the issue with mine, recently.
                          Cheers'en, AndyC
                          1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

I suspect it's your front mount on your rear diff that's the culprit. The diff snub mount.
                            Last edited by Lloyd; 11 April 2011, 20:11.
                            RS2+ (now sold...)

Comment

I had the same thud with a kernackered rear subframe bush on my 80q

Comment

Working...
                              X