CV Joint dilemma !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CV Joint dilemma !

It's not the S2 but the wife's cabriolet. It's a 1994 2.8 V6 AAH and needs a new outer CV joint for the MOT. Well it was actually the boot that failed it but the CV joint is noisy anyway. We tried to replace the joint last year but could't find one that would fit. Tried a couple from TPS and ECP and the nearest we got was one that had the right number of inner and outer splines but the shape of the joint itself where it fits into the back of the hub/carrier was different.
    I've got the old one off at the moment and the audi part number on it is 893 407 305 G and there appears to be a date stamped on it of 5/93 which would make it the original. Thought it would be easy to check this with a stealer but that number is apparently not listed on their system. The guy reckoned that the reason for this would be that the joint would be available only as part of a kit which would have a different part number - which is logical I suppose but they couldn't help any more than that.

So, tried ECP again and quoted the audi part number and they said that the number was good and they had an equivalent joint in stock - their part number being 657444261. Problem is that this was the same one we tried before and it didn't fit.
    Looking on a few forums I have seen it mentioned that the CV joint on the S2 could be the same as the V6 so I was just wondering if anyone had a CV joint (either for an S2 or not) kicking about that had the same part number on it and new exactly which model it was from. It has 27 inner splines, 38 outer and 45 teeth on the ABS ring.
    The slight complication with the car is that it is LHD and was originally bought in Germany in 93/94 when the 2.8 cab wasn't available here yet so I am wondering if it has some differences to the later UK versions - it has forged wishbones for example. Maybe this CV joint is from a different model ??

Any help would be really appreciated - the wife is desperate to get her top down this summer !!

Originally posted by PistonBroke View Post
    It's not the S2 but the wife's cabriolet. It's a 1994 2.8 V6 AAH and needs a new outer CV joint for the MOT. Well it was actually the boot that failed it but the CV joint is noisy anyway. We tried to replace the joint last year but could't find one that would fit. Tried a couple from TPS and ECP and the nearest we got was one that had the right number of inner and outer splines but the shape of the joint itself where it fits into the back of the hub/carrier was different.
    I've got the old one off at the moment and the audi part number on it is 893 407 305 G and there appears to be a date stamped on it of 5/93 which would make it the original. Thought it would be easy to check this with a stealer but that number is apparently not listed on their system. The guy reckoned that the reason for this would be that the joint would be available only as part of a kit which would have a different part number - which is logical I suppose but they couldn't help any more than that.

So, tried ECP again and quoted the audi part number and they said that the number was good and they had an equivalent joint in stock - their part number being 657444261. Problem is that this was the same one we tried before and it didn't fit.
    Looking on a few forums I have seen it mentioned that the CV joint on the S2 could be the same as the V6 so I was just wondering if anyone had a CV joint (either for an S2 or not) kicking about that had the same part number on it and new exactly which model it was from. It has 27 inner splines, 38 outer and 45 teeth on the ABS ring.
    The slight complication with the car is that it is LHD and was originally bought in Germany in 93/94 when the 2.8 cab wasn't available here yet so I am wondering if it has some differences to the later UK versions - it has forged wishbones for example. Maybe this CV joint is from a different model ??

Any help would be really appreciated - the wife is desperate to get her top down this summer !!
    That Audi part number is sort of right, but you couldn't order a CV jooint from Audi using it. The correct part number for an outer joint and boot (kit) is 893 498 099LX, where the X represents an exchange item. If you just use the 893 498 099L number as a cross reference then that should work if you end up going to GSF or someone like that. If you do manage to get a CV joint using that number and it doesn't fit, then it's likely that you have the wrong driveshaft on there. How long have you had the car?
    S2 Avant......fully loaded :rock: :bow: Slipper Wagons Rule !!!!!

Comment

why wouldn;t it fit? Not fit in the hub or not fit on the shaft?
      AFAIK all the 20v and V6 cars have the same spline fitment into the hubs, but the driveshaft splines are different, perhaps you might not have the right drive shaft on there.......
      Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
      Indigo ABY coupé
      Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

you should check the number of the outer splines

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/OUTER-CV-JOINT...item4ce9dff3d0
        Audi Quattro WR

Comment

Originally posted by Audi Parts Guru View Post
          That Audi part number is sort of right, but you couldn't order a CV jooint from Audi using it. The correct part number for an outer joint and boot (kit) is 893 498 099LX, where the X represents an exchange item. If you just use the 893 498 099L number as a cross reference then that should work if you end up going to GSF or someone like that. If you do manage to get a CV joint using that number and it doesn't fit, then it's likely that you have the wrong driveshaft on there. How long have you had the car?
          I understand that it's not possible to order a joint from Audi using the part number stamped on the one I have taken off the cab as it is only comes as part of a kit (which has a different number). I was hoping that someone might perhaps have an S2 or a 2.8 joint removed from a car that they could check the part number on it to see if it is the same as the one on the cab -just to try and confirm which joint is on the car. Thing is we tried a couple of joints last year that were supposed to fit a 2.8 but didn't and am just wondering if the car has some oddball driveshafts/CV joints with it being an early German car.

Are you saying that the S2 and 2.8 should have the same joint - 893 498 099LX ?

I could order the 893 498 099LX kit and see if that fits but when it costs about £150 compared with maybe £30 ish for an ECP/GSF or even ebay job (thanks for the link Skull) I'd rather see if I can find the right one that way.

We've had the car about 5 years - bought it when we lived in France, hence the LHD.

Originally posted by Error404 View Post
          why wouldn;t it fit? Not fit in the hub or not fit on the shaft?
          AFAIK all the 20v and V6 cars have the same spline fitment into the hubs, but the driveshaft splines are different, perhaps you might not have the right drive shaft on there.......
          It wasn't me fitting it but I am told that one of the joints did have the correct splines (both inner and outer) and was initially thought to be OK but then locked the hub once tightened up. On closer inspection the conclusion was that the machined profile of the joint where it fits into the hub was wrong.

Originally posted by Sküll View Post
          you should check the number of the outer splines
          Done that - mentioned it at the begining - it has 38 outer splines

Here's a pic of the one I've taken off the car.

Comment

i meant you have to check the number of the splines of the cv joint on ebay. it only writes 27 inner splines, but the outer could be 30, 33 or 38...
            Audi Quattro WR

Comment

Originally posted by Sküll View Post
              i meant you have to check the number of the splines of the cv joint on ebay. it only writes 27 inner splines, but the outer could be 30, 33 or 38...
              Ah... yes, I'm with you now Actually I spoke to them today and they have a couple of these on the shelf with the correct number of outer splines. They are not too far away from me so I might go and have a look to see if they are the same.

Cheers

Comment

S2 outer CV joint is the same part number as what you need for your cab ;o)
                S2 Avant......fully loaded :rock: :bow: Slipper Wagons Rule !!!!!

Comment

you haven't by any chance had the wheel bearing replaced at all? the reson i ask is i just changed both front on my s2 over the weekend and on refitting the second one my drive shaft too locked up on doing up the bolt . on further inspection the wheel bearing had not gone fully home .had all of the 10 tones of pressure prom my press on it and it would not go that last 2mm or so it was only after pressing it out again cleaning up the hub and pressing it back in again that it went fully in . may be nothing to do with you problem but something to check .another thing the abs sensor isn't be left in and gone in to far and its jamming on that. just some thoughts for you
                  never set your expectations to high that way you are never disapointed

Comment

I had the exact same problem on my 90q 20v - the hub locked up when you tightened the bolt.

It took me 3 attempts to get a cv joint with the correct profile.

I ordered mine from here

http://www.carparts-direct.co.uk/cv_joints.cfm
                    Mike

http://www.s2-audi.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Mikes2 View Post
                      I had the exact same problem on my 90q 20v - the hub locked up when you tightened the bolt.

It took me 3 attempts to get a cv joint with the correct profile.

I ordered mine from here

http://www.carparts-direct.co.uk/cv_joints.cfm
                      Do you mean that the problem was the accuracy of the machining with the 3 different CVs - i.e. you tried 3 examples of the same part number or was it 3 different part numbers before you found the right one.

Comment

Originally posted by denniselbows View Post
                        you haven't by any chance had the wheel bearing replaced at all? the reson i ask is i just changed both front on my s2 over the weekend and on refitting the second one my drive shaft too locked up on doing up the bolt . on further inspection the wheel bearing had not gone fully home .had all of the 10 tones of pressure prom my press on it and it would not go that last 2mm or so it was only after pressing it out again cleaning up the hub and pressing it back in again that it went fully in . may be nothing to do with you problem but something to check .another thing the abs sensor isn't be left in and gone in to far and its jamming on that. just some thoughts for you
                        Thanks for the ideas but no, the bearings hadn't been changed and the old CV joint went back in without a problem. I am sure there will be a simple explanation!

Comment

Originally posted by PistonBroke View Post
                          Do you mean that the problem was the accuracy of the machining with the 3 different CVs - i.e. you tried 3 examples of the same part number or was it 3 different part numbers before you found the right one.
                          3 different manufacturers - all supposedly the same part
                          Mike

http://www.s2-audi.co.uk

Comment

CV Sorted !

Just to finish off this thread with a happy ending, I took the old CV joint down to GSF and compared it with the one they had on the shelf for the 2.8 and it looked pretty much the same. Got it fitted no problem at all and it went through the MOT this afternoon. The joint is not OEM of course ( the name on the box is GSP ) but it looks decent quality and came with all the bits - boot, bolt & spacers etc for £38.50 + VAT. If anyone's interested the GSF part number is 439VG0310 - it's the same as the S2.

Comment

Working...
                            X