SM Fywheel Conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SM Fywheel Conversion

I need a new clutch so am considering the single mass conversion from my current dual mass ABY setup.
    I suspect there’s only a dozen or so forum users who’ve made the swap but is there anyone who regrets actually doing it?

I’d be pleased to hear your experiences.
    Many thanks.

Nigelm
    ABY coupe (under 300 HP)

Yeah me, I wouldn't have done it but I had too because of the torque levels of my build.

The dual mass is a nice feel I loved it, I'm now used to the single mass took me a while

Comment

Having driven a 3B as my daily driver, I didn't like the smoothness of the dual mass and as such swapped it for the SM. I do prefer the responsiveness, but actually now I do miss the smoothness at times. Getting old, I guess... don't get me wrong though when I'm driving it 'for fun' SM every time.
      AUDI - saving Dad's from minivans since 1994

Comment

Love the SM, S2 is too refined for me, it wasn't a big change, not for me anyway, response in 1st / 2nd is noticeably better.
        Cheers'en, AndyC
        1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

I wish I'd changed the flywheel pin over whilst it was off.
          do it if you think you might go the vems route and use a 7a flywheel. not sure about the 3b.

make sure the distance from the slave cyl pushrod tip to the springs is the same when you swap otherwise you'll have pedal issues.

otherwise it's great. as above ^^^^^^ pickup in first and second is more sharp and no more spongey launches.
          Volcano ABY coupe

Ant

Comment

Originally posted by QuattroFever View Post
            make sure the distance from the slave cyl pushrod tip to the springs is the same when you swap otherwise you'll have pedal issues.
            ? You shouldn't have any issues if you move the engine on the slots of the engine mounts

Do not move the gearbox on it's slots, classic mistake IMO which leads to issues

Comment

Agree.Move the engine backwards when doing DM-> SM conversion

Also better for the weight distribution

Comment

SM conversion

Thanks for your replies guys.
                Food for thought.

Regards,
                Nigel

Comment

Working...
                X