• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6 speed linkage repair kit

AFAIK these are not available for the CGR S2 linkage, but I've found this

http://jhmotorsports.com/shop/catalo...9b68f2cea7538f

http://audishifter.com/videos/Extern...peed_trans.wmv

Does anybody know if the B5 linkage uses the same size ball and socket as the S2?
    sigpic
    1991 Audi S2 3B - 2.5 Stroker engine
    1997 A6 2.5TDi quattro avant - C4
    1976 RD250E / 350LC cafe racer

It looks the same size for sure Andy

Put a uni-ball (spherical bearing) in it - takes a bit of fettling to get it set up just right but mine is tight as f**k now
    Last edited by Error404; 18 October 2010, 21:46.
    Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
    Indigo ABY coupé
    Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Uni-ball?? Sounds like a nick-name following a horiffic accident to me

Any more info please... like where to get one and what it takes to swap. My new project has a shifter with LOADS of play and I'm verging on scaring myself by calling TPS for a quote on a new linkage and shifter mech!
      AUDI - saving Dad's from minivans since 1994

Comment

Well, a syphirical bearing, a turned down M6 cap head and a cut in the head so you can turn it to tighten. All in all about 2 hours work you need to cut and reweld the linkage. Alex has the first i made, it costs including time about £70-90

I have a issue that i extended my linkage by 140mm and now i can use the bearing as the rod tries to flex and go all out of line, the original is full of shot in side the tube any one else noticed this?
        Chef

Comment

DIY solid shifter here

http://www.motorgeek.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=36400

Regarding the b5 shifter I have read about people on motorgeek cutting and re welding it to get the right angles to fit a b3/4, might be worth a search
          Current-2004 Impreza PPP wagon

Sold-92 3B coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, rear torsen, forged rods........
          Sold ABY-stock

Comment

Originally posted by Error404 View Post
            It looks the same size for sure Andy

Put a uni-ball (spherical bearing) in it - takes a bit of fettling to get it set up just right but mine is tight as f**k now
            Already tried this, but if anything it feels too tight and has lost the ability to self centre on the 3rd-4th axis. Comparing the spherical bearing back to back with an OEM linkage, the OEM one 'feels' better. For $40 I might take a chance and order one.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by AndyP View Post
              Already tried this, but if anything it feels too tight and has lost the ability to self centre on the 3rd-4th axis. Comparing the spherical bearing back to back with an OEM linkage, the OEM one 'feels' better. For $40 I might take a chance and order one.
              send it down here Andy

I need to try another on mine i cant shift at the moment mines far to tight
              Chef

Comment

Originally posted by AndyP View Post
                I had the same issue in the side to side axis and also couldn't get into 5th or 6th gear.
                I probably spent about 6 hours fiddling with mine getting mine just right, had to cut & reweld the rod a bit here and there, also cut and re-welded the pivot arm a smidge, but now its great
                Indigo ABY coupé
                Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Found the answer to my original question

http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthr...+shift+linkage

Looking at the socket I'm wondering if there is enough 'meat' on it to skim it down so it would fit?
                  sigpic

Comment

I was just looking at that thread and wondered the same thing Andy - i think it could be done with a bit of a trim, its just rubber bonded over nylon I think

Seriously though with a bit of playing around the spherical bearing works great - I think James had to turn the outer race / cage down a tad to get enough mis-alignment in the bearing to get all the gears
                    I'll take some pics in a few days when i'm back home
                    Indigo ABY coupé
                    Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Working...
                    X