Slow Clutch Takeup?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slow Clutch Takeup?

Hi all, yes yet another question for you, the previous owner of my 1991 S2 had a new genuine Audi clutch fitted at 115,000m cars now done 125,000m,inc clutchplate bearing slave cylinder ect cost £617, to me the clutch appears to be slow on the takeup for want of a better word, if I change gear quickly and let the clutch up swiftly the clutch is slow to keep up with the pedal movement if you're with me, and kinda engages heavily with a bit of bump,is this normal perhaps? makes it almost impossible to carryout a quick/swift gear change! your comments please...regards Condor
    :wave: :thumbs:

Could be the master cylinder pushrod. They are prone to snapping. When mine was borken the clutch would release about halfway then all of a sudden pop out and you'd be flying. Great for a traffic light grand prix but a nightmare in normal driving.

Ben
    the best intentions are fraught with disappointment - gil grissom

sigpic
    1994 ABY Avant - it's getting there

Comment

Originally posted by s2avant
      Could be the master cylinder pushrod. They are prone to snapping. When mine was borken the clutch would release about halfway then all of a sudden pop out and you'd be flying. Great for a traffic light grand prix but a nightmare in normal driving.

Ben
      Is the flexible pipe kinked and stopping fluid coming out?

David

Comment

Is it snatchy or is it that you are just trying to make really quick changes and its sounding really clunky? The S2 transmission is not the best for trying to rush changes anyway as there are a load of parts trying to keep up and deal with the torque. Also a knackered rear diff mount or worn prop shaft mounting will allow the prop to move back and forth making the clunks even more noticeable.

As mentioned before there are some clutch related things to check but *MAY* well just we worth looking at other areas too as they will help to smooth things out.

HTH

David
        sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Hi s2driveruk and all of you guys, thanks 4 your reply,I wouldn't say the clutch is snatchy but I am discribing trying to change gear quickly but not rushing it really,I have driven a 2.3 coupe which had a newish clutch and it felt the same! I don't think its rear diff mount or prop mount as this feels like on the pedal, slow reaction on clutch take up, are the clutches normally a little on the heavy side? I have to be gentle/fairly slow letting the clutch out or it's pedal out, clutch take up at a longer interval than feels right and with a clunk/thud/ in the clutch area,it doesn't feel smooth? like a new clutch should, may be its just they way they are? I feel it's fast to accelerate but lose time changing gear ! just wondering what everyone elses S2 clutch is like?

Comment

heh, best not comment, mines done 161k on the original clutch and it feels ok but it can clunk sometimes...... Can't comment on what a new one should feel like but maybe soon i will....

Cheers,

David
            sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Thanks for your comments, 161,000 eh sure getting your monies worth out of that clutch!!!!!..thanks again Condor.....

Comment

Originally posted by s2driveruk
                heh, best not comment, mines done 161k on the original clutch and it feels ok
                Careful David, famous last words.... castle combe might just finish it off.... i hope not
                Jim

Comment

thanks Jim I am thinking about the list of failed components from that session already I won't be gunning it round like a madman anyway, I need to drive back in her so shouldnt be too hard!
                  sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

I have had ALL my clutch components replaced recently and I would say that my clutch pedal is positively trying to come back up when I am changing gear and you really have to be smooth to get the gear change right. It does sound to me that something is wrong down there. IMO the clutch should feel springy and firm not spongy and slow.

HTH

Steve
                    The Perfectionist
                    sigpic
                    Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

Working...
                    X