No Gears,,

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Gears,,

Well after a few weeks of rs2 ownership the other day.
    My car thought it would be good to stop me from selecting gears, managed to drive home with no clutch not to easy in these lol.

Anyway i went straight for the kill changing the clutch.. Engine out on the drive on me own It was feckin cold.....,

Looking at the clutch i would have thought it was good for a few more miles..
    Then looking at slave cylinder i thought wish id spent longer trying to get that out..

Although looking at it you can see the plastic cover must have broke of years ago. An even this would not have been the cause for the faliure,

The clutch pedal felt fine, just i could not get gears..
    But after changing everything ,the clutch feels brilliant,,,

But im wondering in the back of me brain if this was not the problem ...

Any ideas,,

Glad i did do this though as i quickly slipped a cam belt an water pump on just because i could see it lol.
    An i must say i think the rs2 water pipe makes a wee bit of difference in the fact it so close to the water pump ( instead of the bottom of the radiator...). Unless the one tooth less on the water pump really makes such a difference...
    Any way i might go out an enjoy some snow mind you its nearly 12 i might just drink brandy...
    Attached Files

The same thing happened to mine ! and yes we took the box out before we realised thats all it was !

Was perfect after we fitted a new slave, I changed the clutch whilst the box was out but there wasn't anything wrong with it

Comment

Top marks to you, taking the engine out on the drive when we've had -8 temps........ Glad you've got it sorted now. Go and enjoy it and come upto Harrogate for the meet today.
      Just some finishing touches to do now

Comment

Originally posted by Big Lee M View Post
        Top marks to you, taking the engine out on the drive when we've had -8 temps........ Glad you've got it sorted now. Go and enjoy it and come upto Harrogate for the meet today.
        Good job i never went out... Took my mate six hours to go to the chip shop...

Comment

Impressed that you took the engine out in these weathers...
          Well done for getting it sorted out..
          Cheers.
          bo
          91 S2 coupé - RIP
          98 S8 - Luxury barge

Comment

Give me a call next time to see if one of the workshop ramps are free

Comment

Did the clutch on mine recently too, albeit on a lift and a little warmer temperatures. The plates all looked fine, no real wear on them. Was worried it wasn't the clutch and was much worse until I spotted a sort of large metal circlip that had snapped, meaning the plates wouldn't engage preventing the clutch working.

Very impressed you managed it on your drive in this weather
              Audi 80 S2 Nothelle N300 Avant, 1993, Amethyst Pearl VW/Audi Car Magazine article about this very car
              Audi A6 Avant 2.5 TDi, 1995, Arctic Silver (now sold)
              BMW E36 325i Coupe, 1993, Diamond Black (now sold)
              VW Polo 1.0L 6N, 1998, Red (the missus' car)
              Aprilia Rs250 motorbike, 1998, Black (the weekend toy)

Comment

Originally posted by kulster View Post
                Give me a call next time to see if one of the workshop ramps are free
                Nice offer i only did it on the drive though so i could spend a few hours a night doing it,

An i will have a look at the circlip looking thingy..

Comment

Good job! I'm needing to do a clutch on mine too soon, it's heavy as hell and presumed original at 157k. Don't plan on doing it in -8C on the drive though but if you feel like doing it again let me know

What clutch did you fit?
                  AUDI - saving Dad's from minivans since 1994

Comment

Mines done 167K and clutch is still top notch,well it feels it.
                    Just some finishing touches to do now

Comment

Originally posted by Ross View Post
                      Good job! I'm needing to do a clutch on mine too soon, it's heavy as hell and presumed original at 157k. Don't plan on doing it in -8C on the drive though but if you feel like doing it again let me know

What clutch did you fit?
                      sachs clutch kit from quattro corner...

Comment

Just to say checked my old clutch the metal circlip looking metal ring had snapped,,

See what i did i started with a problem and posted the reason for the problem as suggested by someone above they was correct.

Comment

My turn this week but unfortunately I lack your skills so mines gone to GT500 to sort. Will be interesting to see which bit is actually knackered as it wasn't slipping. The gears were there one second and gone the next.
                          Audi S2 Avant, 1995, ...and it begins with a Homefry
                          Audi 80 Sport, 1986, ...my first car...wish I still had it
                          sigpic

Comment

Exact same happened to mine, clutch wont quite release! Bloody piddly weld on the large ring round the rivets lets go, ring opens slightly then jams between the two parts of the pressure plate!!

Makes the drive home fun and teaches you how to change gear without a clutch (which is surprisingly easy - its getting going from stationary on the starter thats nasty!!)

Originally posted by pixsaudisex2 View Post
                            Just to say checked my old clutch the metal circlip looking metal ring had snapped,,

See what i did i started with a problem and posted the reason for the problem as suggested by someone above they was correct.

Comment

Working...
                            X