Gearbox Woes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gearbox Woes

OK 01E gearbox's not being my forte as I haven't had one apart need to have some advice on possible causes.

Pulled away hard in first (full car 4 adults 1 child and some skateboards and bags) tried to select second and got horrible crunching although did eventually sort of go in.

Came to a hold at the traffic lights and could not select second for love or money on the downshift. Once come to a full hold could select 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th as normal. Just about able to engage 1st (stiff) and 2nd well forget it.

Reverse appears to work fine to. Whilst driving no horrible noises, coast down no unusual noises other than the usual whir it has always had.

So conclusion so far is no problem with the clutch, no problems with release bearing. I've either done something to the linkage or done something internally to the gearbox.

I'm thinking linkage as no noises coming from the box.
    Any ideas where to start looking? Is there a common fault I should be aware of? I need to get on this first thing in the morning once I got daylight as I need the car to take a group of us to Kent and back (4hr roundtrip).
    UrS6 Stroker + HTA3586 =

I've just been watching this:-

http://jhmotorsports.com/shop/catalo...fa6d4a4befdcb7

They mention in it that the 1st-2nd shift collar is a common failing and they show you how to replace it, as shown in their rebuild kit

http://jhmotorsports.com/shop/catalo...fa6d4a4befdcb7

Not sure what the symptoms are though so I couldn't say for sure this is what you have. I would have thought that if it's a problem with the linkage you'd have problems with all gears.
    sigpic
    1991 Audi S2 3B - 2.5 Stroker engine
    1997 A6 2.5TDi quattro avant - C4
    1976 RD250E / 350LC cafe racer

Comment

Can you select 1st/2nd without the engine running? If not i would start by disconnecting the linkage and see can you select gears directly at the box to see if the problems an internal selection issue or a linkage issue. Too many fluffed/crunched 2nd gear changes will round off the syncro drum making it very difficult to engage without rev matching. If it just wont go in at all i would suspect selector or linkage issues. Sounds like a real PITA problem, hope its nothing serious.
      91CQ20v - Gone to a new home
      93UR-S4 - The Magic Carpet
      94S2Bus - The Emerald Express

Comment

Never really fluffed a gear change in this car other than once when my gearbox mounts where shot and I was carrying a full load of people so I tended not to do anything too mad knowing that there was an issue. So this is the first real time where I fluffed the change so to say and did it properly. Even with the engine not running it won't engage 2nd and 1st is stiff which is making me hope it is something to do with the linkage. Unfortunatelly not knowing 100% how the shifter mechanism engages the box makes it difficult for me to assess whether 1 and 2 are seperate from the rest if something shifts out of alignment I know on the cable change box's like 02A's and m's and tremec gearbox's we used to use on the v8's if there was a shifter issue nothing wanted to work properly.

As for the JH motorsort prices on just the 1st/2nd rings no thankyou. knowing my input shaft is on the way out from the coast down whine which are £700 I rather just go and get a 2nd hand S4/RS4 box as these bolt straight up to mine.
        UrS6 Stroker + HTA3586 =

Comment

Typical 2nd gear problem, caused by too heavy clutchplate, too much revs on first gear, karate gearshift, some bad luck and a bit of excessive force when "finalising" the poor engagement.

The first-second ratio difference is just too big in 01e. And especially, if You rev the engine even a bit higher than stock. And ESPECIALLY if You have sprung 8-puck sinter clutch.
          Everything less than 2 bar is considered to be naturally aspirated

Comment

gearbox

hi jp sorry to here bad news give ish a ring at quattro coachworks he maybe able to help
            '05 A6 3.0 S-LINE TDI- AKOYA SILVER SOLD
            '98 S4 B5 MRC- MINGE BLUE SOLD
            '85 URQ RS2 SPEC- TORNADO RED
            '95 RS2- RS BLUE

Comment

Originally posted by repo View Post
              Typical 2nd gear problem, caused by too heavy clutchplate, too much revs on first gear, karate gearshift, some bad luck and a bit of excessive force when "finalising" the poor engagement.

The first-second ratio difference is just too big in 01e. And especially, if You rev the engine even a bit higher than stock. And ESPECIALLY if You have sprung 8-puck sinter clutch.

Ok got Sachs racing clutch with 4 puck sintered, revs were around 7600rpm, semi short shift (adjustable so didn't make it too excessive for road use), bad luck definitely, excessive force was probably an understatement on this occasion.

So long and short can I assume I screwed the box then?
              UrS6 Stroker + HTA3586 =

Comment

Originally posted by 20vturbour View Post
                hi jp sorry to here bad news give ish a ring at quattro coachworks he maybe able to help
                Might give him a shout after the hols. There is still an S4 box at MRC put to the side for me that needs 1st/2nd synchro doing for which I was going to buy the uprated 1st/2nd assembly for ease at one point and fit a diff.

However as the snow has messed up work timeflow a tad too much over the last month especially after not working the previous month due to back issues I wasn't wanting to go the luxury route right now and more look at a quick short term solution.
                UrS6 Stroker + HTA3586 =

Comment

the rebuild kit is $800 USD right now..... from Advanced Automotion.

with updated parts....

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...08#post5964608

and the video to learn how to take it all apart (JHM video) is here.

http://152.66.93.29/audi/download/JH...d_video_35.wmv

Comment

Originally posted by speeding-g60 View Post

with updated parts....

Dam, I just paid 20 bucks for that
                    sigpic
                    1991 Audi S2 3B - 2.5 Stroker engine
                    1997 A6 2.5TDi quattro avant - C4
                    1976 RD250E / 350LC cafe racer

Comment

Originally posted by speeding-g60 View Post

with updated parts....

thanks for the video

Comment

Bringing back an old thread here, but I had exactly the same thing happen to me last weekend. Got a bit over-enthusiastic having a play with a C63 AMG, and now I can't select first or second . I've had it up in the air and I'm struggling to select first or second by hand so It appears the damage could be internal. is the 1st/2nd shift collar the most likely cause?

Comment

Yes, if the 3-6 and R work fine then it's most likely it.

Comment

Originally posted by Zoig View Post
                            Yes, if the 3-6 and R work fine then it's most likely it.

Ok thanks.

Comment

Yes I would say its almost 100% the shift collar. I locked mine up and had to rebuild it with the JHM rebuild kit.

Comment

Working...
                              X