Prop Lengths. 01A and 01E

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prop Lengths. 01A and 01E

Does anybody have a pair of 01a and 01e probshafts around so they can measure the difference in lengths of the props? Or both gearboxes to measure the difference in length to the output flanges?

I was going to swap in a 6speed prop for my V8 project, but since im going to replace the CV's anyway, I just want to get a spacer turned up, if the 6 speed is by chance shorter. I imagine its longer but thought id ask.

Ta,
    Kieron.
    1994 URS4 Avant RS2+

01E is one inch shorter than the 01A, at least for my Coupe Quattro. over here to swap in an 01E 6 speed, we use a 4kQ driveline/propshaft.

the 01E trans is physically ~1" longer

and the output flanges were the same width, i did nothing with those. to use stock CQ axles up front, you need to change the output flanges. B5 A4 rear diff as well as the right (passenger over here) 4kQ output flange on the rear diff is what you would use to make the trans have 100mm output flanges. you need two of the 4kQ right side rear diff flanges, or the B5 A4 rear diff flanges. but the 01E has 108mm output flanges.

Comment

Do the ouput flanges from the 01a not swap into the 01e?

If thats a no go, I have some 108 inner cv's, they should go over my CQ driveshafts right?

Ta.
      1994 URS4 Avant RS2+

Comment

T89 01A propshaft is about 1605mm, t89 01E and t85 016 are about 1580mm. 01E gearbox measured without a spacer plate is 15mm longer than 01A.

Comment

I had to use S2 driveshafts when i fitted my 6spd in the Cq mate
          IIRC the driveshafts are a slightly different length and also the S2 inner CVs don't fit Cq shafts as the splines are different

6spd box is longer as said, you could use a spacer, or a ABY coupe prop, or fit the front half of an avant prop to the rear half of your Cq prop like i did
          Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
          Indigo ABY coupé
          Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

******. Not what i wanted to hear.
            Cant use a spacer Alex, as the gearbox is longer so i need a negative spacer....
            thinking about it, if its just an inch difference, and there is a bit of play in the CV anyway, I wonder if I could get away with having 10mm or so machined off the CV joint, or flanges.

Thats a ball ache with the driveshafts too, should have done my homework and not got my hopes up. Ahh well.

Ta.
            1994 URS4 Avant RS2+

Comment

Unfortunately the flanges are just pressed steel so no meat to machine, and you can't machine down the CV housing as it form part of the joint You might be able to use a spacer and the output flanes of your 5spd to convert the driveshafts, IIRC Hank did something similar on his URq
              Indigo ABY coupé
              Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Originally posted by Error404 View Post
                fit the front half of an avant prop to the rear half of your Cq prop like i did
                Did you need to get that balanced?
                Current-2004 Impreza PPP wagon

Sold-92 3B coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, rear torsen, forged rods........
                Sold ABY-stock

Comment

the 01A flanges are totally different than the 01E flanges.

the 01A flanges "pop" in and are held in with a circlip in a machined groove at the end of the splines. like a VW 02A trans.

the 01E flanges are held in with a catheter bolt down thru the splined shaft. like a VW 02J trans.

the rear diff flanges are the same as the 01E type. you cannot use both flanges from a 4kQ rear diff, as the left/driver side has the gears for the rear diff locker. but you can use 2 of the opposite side, or both from the rear diff of a B5 A4. the difference, though, is the size. 01E are 108mm. 01A are 100mm.

now you guys over there have three different sized rear flanges on your rear diffs. the 4 cyl 16V CQ has 90mml the 20v NA CQ has 100mml and the S2/ABY 5cyl turbo have 108mm. other than that the rear diffs are entirely the same internally except for the breather. over here in US we only have 100mm flanges.

i did a lot of playing around when i fitted cast rear control arms (wishbones).

i have a thread on MG about that.... but i cannot get MG to load right now.

Comment

Originally posted by andy10v View Post
                    Did you need to get that balanced?
                    Nope, I figured it would be factory balanced in two halves anyway, no problems from it
                    Indigo ABY coupé
                    Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Originally posted by Error404 View Post
                      Nope, I figured it would be factory balanced in two halves anyway, no problems from it
                      Good to know, thanks
                      Current-2004 Impreza PPP wagon

Sold-92 3B coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, rear torsen, forged rods........
                      Sold ABY-stock

Comment

Working...
                      X