Gearbox bearings failing :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gearbox bearings failing :(

Doh, just 13 months after having my gearbox done, it has developed quite a loud bearing noise

Well pissed off. Its worse in 1st and 2nd but is still there in 3rd, but 4th and 5th seem to be quite.

I have only noticed it this week.

Gonna put my old cv gaiter back on to see if that cures it

********, have to buy another gearbox.
    sigpic
    Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
    Audi UR Quattro
    Audi 100 C3 2.0 5 cyl 115ps
    Audi S2 - 07k engine project aiming for 800ps
    Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Its done 15000 miles. I'm yet to phone the company who did it to see what they say, but i suspect that they wont want to know as the car is modified, which is one of the clauses in the warranty, so is 12 months/12000 miles

I'm gonna phone them tomorrow.
    sigpic
    Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
    Audi UR Quattro
    Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

bad luck Tom.... can you not do the repairs? the parts won't be too bad, you know me...
      Martyn
      -------------------------------------

www.vagparts.com

Comment

Need special tools to get the box apart, otherwise i would have done it the first time round

Can you see what tools are needed to get the box apart?

Maybe i can borrow them from my local dealer?

They should have replaced all the bearings and syncro hubs, as i asked them to do so. Pissed off m8. If i find out that the bearings weren't replaced i will go mad.
        sigpic
        Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
        Audi UR Quattro
        Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

Tom
          Can i ask who repaired your gearbox last time ? i may be able to help you if you need to do it again
          S2 Avant......fully loaded :rock: :bow: Slipper Wagons Rule !!!!!

Comment

Tom, the list of special tools needed for the job is seriously long mate. Like 5-10 tools needed as a minimum :-( they don't look very easy to get around either!
            Martyn

www.vagparts.com

Comment

What are tey like? Is it just a load of pullers?

This company near Bridgewater did it, Gearchange. Its the first one that has ever given us a problem. They are normally very good and long lasting. Maybe its just the extra power that it doesn't like.

Maybe i will have to turn the boost down

Fook that
              sigpic
              Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
              Audi UR Quattro
              Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

Tom,

Bad news m8

I've just phoned gearchange for a quote last week too...Let us know how you get on with them. Hopefully, they'll sort it for free.
                The main issue with this type of problem is the time and effort it takes to get the box out in the first place...bummer

Good luck

Steve.
                91 Modded 3B
                14 A6 Avant Black Edition

Comment

Tom, it was pullers, pushers, drifts, spacers, my god, what a mare.....
                  Martyn

www.vagparts.com

Comment

If I had a 3B, I would use a type 85 Coupe quattro box. It is a lot stronger than the all aluminium item used in all type 89 / B4 cars, including the 5 speed S2's. The early cast iron jobbies were developed at a time when Audi was competitive in Motorsport, so the torque levels they could cope with were very high. It's interesting to see that in the 89> 100 quattro turbo, the later alumunium casing was used, but in the more powerful 89> 200 quattro turbo, the earlier cast iron box was retained. It must have made sense to Audi as well, as the 6 speed casing reverted to the earlier cast iron one - they may be heavy, but they are tough as old boots and built to last.

Comment

ive heard that dialynx use the older one in that sport quattro sprint car of theirs, with 6-700bhp or something daft going through it with no probs

Comment

Exactly, good old 016 tranny... virtually indestructable, as I found out.

Comment

is that a bolt straight on jobbie as i guess there must be a few sitting in scappies all over the uk waiting for an S2 owner to collect it

David
                          sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Sienna,

Aren't there differences between the splines on the input shaft and the gear linkage is sorta back to front compared to the 5 speed S2 box?
                            91 Modded 3B
                            14 A6 Avant Black Edition

Comment

@SteveH - AFAIK - the 016 box used in the UR will bolt straight up to a 3B or ABY engine (with some possible fannying about with clutches etc) but I've never seen the 016, 01A and CGR/CRB all side by side to compare the linkages.

The worst thing about the 016 boxes is the 'orrible gear spacing. The version fitted to the Sport (and fitted to the Dialynx animal) is best by far with pretty much the perfect 1.5 intra ratio spacing being used (from memory).

Cheers,

Paul
                              Paul Nugent
                              Webmaster http://S2central.net
                              Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
                              2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
                              2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Working...
                              X