No announcement yet.

Which g/box?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Easy, Porkkis! It is an international forum, and I've taken on board what you've said. It is interesting to know what our friends abroad have in their models. There are probably models in Finland which we don't have here, but we still show an interest nonetheless. I've learnt somethoing new from you which I can draw on in future.

It wasn't meant to come accross as offensive or a lecture , and if it did, I apologise unreservedly.

Siena

Comment

I didn't mean to be rude neighter.
      I really thought that all t44s were 016 and therefore I learn something again aswell.

No hard feelings mate.

But one final question as I haven't driven a single 01E equipped car: Is the 01E box faster in gear changes than the old 016? What about 5 speed 01E that was fitted in early urS4s? How much can it take and what about the gear change smoothness?
      Two final questions that was then...
      -

Comment

Well at least I managed to unscrew the gearknob on Kitty yesterday, it was far too tight! Now I can think about fitting the quick shift kit!

__MDC__
        Martin Cutting

aka Keeper of "The Teutonic Kitten"

It's not better than sex, but it runs it a close second.

Comment

I have noticed comments on the forum that the Torsen is unpopular, I thought torsen diffs were meant to be excellent. What are the pro's and cons please?

I only have 170BHP.

David

Comment

Originally posted by Stick Insect
            I have noticed comments on the forum that the Torsen is unpopular, I thought torsen diffs were meant to be excellent. What are the pro's and cons please?

I only have 170BHP.

David
            Torsens are OK, but can be a bit unpredictable when it comes to power distribution on loose surface(or even dry tarmac if you got the power). If pushing hard on twisty roads in snow/ice conditions (live in Norway ) it sometimes make the car underesteer and sometimes oversteer. If you're pushing and the front let go(understeer), the front tires will spin and then suddenly most of the power will be transfered to the rear tires. Then if enough power is applied, the rears spin and you suddenly get oversteer! You learn by experience, but you're newer 100% sure if it will be understeer, oversteer or both when driving with torsen

Comment

"pinched from 20v.org"

Gear Coupe Sedan
              1st 3.55:1 3.55:1
              2nd 2.11:1 2.11:1
              3rd 1.43:1 1.30:1
              4th 1.03:1 0.94:1
              5th 0.84:1 0.77:1
              Reverse 3.50:1 3.50:1
              Final drive 4.11:1 4.11:1

S2 3B & ABY are different again. I agree 1st gear is usless on cq20v's, gets me about a car length before i have to grab 2nd. If i was going to change my own i would go for an S2 6speed.

Originally posted by Stick Insect
              Thanks Sienna, I have the build sticker and it shows engine / trans code
              7A AEC ASZ

7A is correct for the 20V NA engine but which one is the gearbox? is the ASZ the diff?

David
              91CQ20v - Gone to a new home
              93UR-S4 - The Magic Carpet
              94S2Bus - The Emerald Express

Comment

@Porkkis: I reckon the 016 gearchange is quicker than the 01E. Quattro gearchanges are not particularly smooth, but the 6 ratio box is even clunkier than any early 016 - equipped car I have ever driven! IMO the 01A 5 ratio used in the UrS4 and other quattros was the smoothest, though not particularly best for handling power. I have come accross 3 01A's that have stripped first gear because they were driven a tad brutally.

@ David: I also found my 016 box too low geared in my modified type 85 - before I replaced it with an 01E, I rebuilt it with internals from an early Audi 100 2,144cc FWD. It was an '83 model, with the original 4+E box. Very long legged, but better than increasing the final drive with a 3.89:1, as used in al Ur q's. I was able to achieve 64mph in 2nd, whereas the original gearset achieved 57mph in the same. Doesn't seem a lot, but the difference was amazing, didn't hurt fuel economy or accelleration either!

Siena

Comment

Originally posted by Vagsport

@ David: I also found my 016 box too low geared in my modified type 85 - before I replaced it with an 01E, I rebuilt it with internals from an early Audi 100 2,144cc FWD. It was an '83 model, with the original 4+E box. Very long legged, but better than increasing the final drive with a 3.89:1, as used in al Ur q's. I was able to achieve 64mph in 2nd, whereas the original gearset achieved 57mph in the same. Doesn't seem a lot, but the difference was amazing, didn't hurt fuel economy or accelleration either!

Siena
                  Thanks siena, great information. You don't happen to know what the code was do you? My pinion bearings howl like a banshee and I was wondering about another box.

Or a suggestion which vehicle I may be able to find it in?

David

Comment

Yours is obviously a type 01A box, so the mods I carried out won't apply to you. You can rebuild your unit using the internal gears from a V6, or use the box from a 90 q 20V - the 90 gears are taller than those used the Coupe. I have a 1991 Coupe q 20V breaking, all parts available, but the ratios will be the same as yours.

Siena

Comment

Originally posted by Vagsport
                      Yours is obviously a type 01A box, so the mods I carried out won't apply to you. You can rebuild your unit using the internal gears from a V6, or use the box from a 90 q 20V - the 90 gears are taller than those used the Coupe. I have a 1991 Coupe q 20V breaking, all parts available, but the ratios will be the same as yours.

Siena
                      I was offered a brand new V6 Quattro box for £500 but turned it down as I assumed it wouldn't fit!

I will keep my eyes open.

David

Comment

Working...
                      X