rounded bolt diff, for driveshaft..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rounded bolt diff, for driveshaft..

rounded the last(as always its the las one) torx bolt att the driveshaft connection on the right side of my diff, cant get hold of it at all, and welding doesnt seem so smart in that area.. gonna try hammering in a bigger torx socket tomorrow, but i doubt it will work.. all bolts were tightened hard, but this one took the price...

any ideas?

the subframe and diff is still in the car.

Piece of cake with set of these:

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....group_ID=17831
    Everything less than 2 bar is considered to be naturally aspirated

Comment

ive tried those sockets before on "stndard" bolts but not very impressed, and im not sure they will fit over the torx bolts, the space between the bolt and flange might be to small...

Comment

Irwin nut extractors Similar to the ones above just fit in and do the job BTDT
        Audi Nut!!!

Comment

I would go with the above, if lacking the proper tools whatever socket can be smashed onto the head if its tight enough.

Tightening all the other bolts down may help relieve tension on the stuck bolt.
          Current-2004 Impreza PPP wagon

Sold-92 3B coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, rear torsen, forged rods........
          Sold ABY-stock

Comment

Rap it on the head with a hammer and then take a 12 point 12mm socket and hammer it over the head, then put your ratchet on and turn. I prefer to use a 1/2 inch drive socket which makes turning a little easier. Easy as pie.

Comment

Originally posted by saltinot View Post
              Rap it on the head with a hammer and then take a 12 point 12mm socket and hammer it over the head, then put your ratchet on and turn. I prefer to use a 1/2 inch drive socket which makes turning a little easier. Easy as pie.
              This is how I undid all my gearbox and diff driveshaft bolts on the last 2 cars.
              Sometimes it's hard to remove the bolt from the socket but if you get another socket on to it that's bigger or even a couple you can wind the bolt back in somewhere and the other sockets act like a spacer and pull the bolt back out. (hope that makes sesnse)
              91 S2 coupé - RIP
              98 S8 - Luxury barge

Comment

thank you all for then answers I think im going to use insex bolts instead of torx and use loctite instead of tighten them so damn hard i guess they're standard M8 insex bolts so that won't be a problem finding

Comment

managed to get it off now i got another problem, the drain plug is seized....and the check plug is also seized... really bad, im going to round the plugs too if i try using force...
                  so i took the three small bolts located on the diff lock mechanism side(1 on top and 2 under) and took them out to drain the oil, its gonna take a while i guess, not much flow thru them.. but, how do i refill the diff later? thru one of the small holes?

Comment

Working...
                  X