Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2.8 v6, compatible gearbox?

Hi all guys!

I'm looking for gearbox that straight fix to the v6, but with lower final ratio, to make the engine a bit more for track days. dont worry about fuel comsumption.....

I'm deciding into keeping this engine for the moment, or swaping to V8.....anu advice??

Thank you!
    Javi

all the gearbox will fit the v6...they does have the same bolt pattern to fit the engine; but some minor difference with the propchafts, and gearlink , flywheel, clutch etc...

the ratio; its a gearcode between the 2 upper boltholes in the bell housing; fx ACK and some nr...this is for the year and type of car, and ratio...normal are the 4,111 ratio, but you will find others , like the 3,889, and rare 3,700, and 4,556... PM the kode at this forum, so will got some help

Comment

I miss to say that should be FWD. In case I swap, then I will go AWD (but I'm interested to know the compatibilities FWD)

Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by caterpillar View Post
        all the gearbox will fit the v6...they does have the same bolt pattern to fit the engine; but some minor difference with the propchafts, and gearlink , flywheel, clutch etc...

the ratio; its a gearcode between the 2 upper boltholes in the bell housing; fx ACK and some nr...this is for the year and type of car, and ratio...normal are the 4,111 ratio, but you will find others , like the 3,889, and rare 3,700, and 4,556... PM the kode at this forum, so will got some help
        Fist of all, thank you for your help!

About ratios, I think 2.8 is 3.889....but im not sure as I dont have the car with me now. In that case, as for mi S2 (3b) is better to mount a 7a gearbox, in my v6 whats the shorter one??

Thank you for the info!

Comment

they are the same trannys anyway, and the code still are at the same places.... 2wd have the same parts too... the only miss the quatropart...
          will the v6 bee used in audi car, or you want to got a RWD car...? then i have some other solution there

Comment

I'm open to all ideas! At first was an 80 trackday car, but, now im thinking about mid engine nm, 7a, v6, v8 and of course RWD. So will be a Fwd tranny as a Rwd.

Most important things are the weight of the engine - transmission(im obssesed!), and having spareparts, as its a trackday car.

Any ideas??

Comment

lots of work , to got the front engine car to mid engine car( yea, it have been done) ..if yo leave the engine in the front, some use the q-tranny and weld the thorsen unit( senterdiff) or use the 016 nonthorsen tranny and lokk the senter up, and have the rear end from a q-car....or; you may use the bellhousing from a volvo 240/740/940 DIESEL (d6) they does fit for sure...i hav 2 pc home, and i have tryed them on the engines.... then adapterplate between bellhousing, then bmw GETRAG tranny with no bellhousing..you may take this part of, no weldin are nesserery( fx bmw 528 or 535).. they does have strong boxes ..getrag 262, 265, and 265cr. the last one have 1-1 in the 5th gear.. and then you fix a custom propshaft...=rwd car

Comment

If I go mid-engine, I will do my own chassis, I wont try a 80-mid-engine. I would be more like a caterham but with the engine in the rear part of the seats. This is only an option, because I have to study if the weight is well distributed. I heard, the nm is lighter, then the 7a, V6, V8, and the heaviest one is the 3b/Aby. Too many posibilities!!!!

Comment

if you mean the NM engine; they are 4syl, and not allt the trannys will fit; but some does have the dual boltpattern...audi trannys, spec the newer one..
                  some of the newer audi engines are also made of alu.. v8 for the audi are alu( use the v8 audi engine after 95) they does have the better block..
                  rover/ old/ buick 215( rover 3500 v8 ) veights about 140 kg, i dont know the audi weight......sorry for that

Comment

Well Iḿ having a lot of problems with that. I 've searched a lot for weights, but I only found numbers without details about if they are with or without components.....

As far as I know:

S2 -> 180kg (only block)
                    V6 -> 161kg (only block)
                    V8 -> 195kg (complete)

I dont know if they are correct, but its what i've founded. As the NM is 4pot, should be lighter than the 7a, that should be like the 3b block.....

Looking for a newer one is a good possibility....I have to search more!!

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                    X