Resurrecting my UrS6!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resurrecting my UrS6!

I am thinking about resurrecting my 1997 (UK) UrS6 estate car that I have not used for about 14 months now and getting the car back to it's former glory over the next year or so.

I have a number of questions:

Is it a mammoth job converting the car from an automatic to manual transmission, as the auto gearbox ‘limp home’ mode drives me nuts , not to mention a bit embarrassing when she starts jumping around at low speed due to gearbox lockup? The car has had quite a few modifications over the last four to five years but I ended up working abroad and not really using the car but now I would like to finish her off and may be even get the genuine new Audi wheel arch extensions I bought years ago fitted too.

Based on the fact the car has “123K” miles on the car now and that I never really sorted out the partial occasional WOT mid range stutter it has, even though it’s had all sorts of new bits and vacuum tests, what would be the logical upgrade for the fuel pump? (The car has MTM upgrades and other modifications too.)

Has anybody managed to fit a front mounted intercooler without it looking like it has been done? (Most I see have to have chunks taken out of the front bumper to get it to fit!)

Lastly, is Whitehouse Quattro’s still operating, as I might as well entrust the works to them since I have heard numerous very good reviews?

Regards,

Andy H.

Oop’s

Oop’s should have written 'White Cottage Quattro’s'!

Sorry.

A.

Comment

Good luck with your project. As for the occasional WOT stutter, it is most likely a weak coil. Here is some reading regarding coil alternatives:

http://forums.quattroworld.com/s4s6/msgs/4088.phtml
      RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
      94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

I'd guess that you could just fit an RS2 fuel pump or the bosch equivalent. Have you changed the fuel filter? Could be worth looking at if not.

If you need any parts that are common to a URS4 let me know as I have a big pile of parts at the moment!

Comment

Hi
          You may want to take alook here:
          http://www.s6-audi.co.uk/
          Shameless plug, sorry
          There's a bit there about converting an Auto to a Manual, I looked at this after forking out for a second, 2nd hand gearbox at a grand a pop
          If you need any spares I have a shed load in England as well as in Sweden
          Good luck with the resurrection
          2007 A4 2.0TS quattro (220)
          1995 AAN powered 80 quattro (MTM Stage 2, MTM hybrid turbo, MTM ecu, Forge DV, 034 Highoutput Coil Pack Conversion, Wagner Tuning EM, 3" turbo back SS exhaust system, race cat + other bits and pieces)

Comment

C4 UrS-car Fuel Pump Info

If you are *only* stock or chipped or even RS2 levels, a good stock C4 "091G" fuel pump from Siemens/VDO or Bosch will serve you well. You can "turbocharge" this pump by relaying it to the battery (under the back seat). If that doesn't keep you happy, then you can upgrade to a Bosch Motorsports pump, e.g. 044, which requires the larger (60mm diameter) basket from the V8 and a few other fittings to work. They are a bit noisy and aren't needed until RS2 levels and above.

Here is some C4 UrS-car Fuel pump info (look for the hyperlinks too)

http://forums.quattroworld.com/s4s6/msgs/22623.phtml

Comment

Conversion for automatic to manual is doable, Parts list:
              • 7A flywheel (lighter than dual mass, finding one in good condition is easyer)
              • Clutch disk (unsprung AAN disk works fine)
              • Sachs normal pressure plate
              • 01E quattro box, I used a box from 2000 Diesel A4q*
              • Front driveshafts
              • Gear linkage
              • propshaft
              • Rear diff
              • Clutch master and slave cylinders, connecting pipes etc
              • Manual pedal box

*Diesel box has different inner driveshafts, so the gearbox side connectors should be sourced from normal UrS6 box.
              6th gear@1900rpm got me around 37.6mpg of normal motorway cruise (with some 3rd gear WOT for overtaking). Averaged to around 27mpg after some WOT testing, normal city driving, One mile challenge and full day of dragracing.

Comment

It's not the coils.

Hi,

Many thanks for all the comments.

I know the WOT stutter is not the coils, as I replaced all the original coil packs and the primary amplifier modules a couple of years ago with the high output parts from ‘034 Motorsport’ and what it did before it did afterwards too and after testing all the boost hoses and replacing them with Samco kit, the only part I have not replaced is the fuel pump.

The stutter does not happen all the time, only after you floor the throttle around 3500rpm occasionally after coasting/cruising for a while, then other times it’s off like a rocket with no stutter at all. The only other item I have noted is it occasionally logs a ‘Knock Sensor 2’ fault, quite infrequent, so I bought to new items to replace both while I am at it. (Does not look an easy job and I did not want to take the plenum off to do them.

Regards,

Andy.

Comment

Link to replacing AAN knock sensors

Originally posted by Andyh-R6S View Post
                  Hi, Many thanks for all the comments.... The only other item I have noted is it occasionally logs a ‘Knock Sensor 2’ fault, quite infrequent, so I bought to new items to replace both while I am at it. (Does not look an easy job and I did not want to take the plenum off to do them. Andy.
                  Andy: Here is some general G61 and G66 knock sensor info:

http://forums.quattroworld.com/s4s6/msgs/21047.phtml

The post linked below shows you how to do the knock sensors without taking the intake manifold (plenum) off on your UrS6.

http://forums.quattroworld.com/s4s6/msgs/113032.phtml

Comment

Working...
                  X