Whining !! Help !!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whining !! Help !!

Just got a call from Autopool who have my S2, they have fixed the boost leak, but the whining noise that they also are looking at they say could be gearbox or front differential. He says it could cost £1500 as they have to send it away to someone!! Does anybody know about what this might cost or anyone who could fix it?

Thanks for you help in advance...
    Tim

1995 S2 Avant, ruby red - ** SOLD TO ROSS **
    Golf Rallye G60 ** SOLD **
    Golf MK2 Oaky with R32 engine
    Audi A6 Avant 1.9 TDi 130
    Golf MK2 8v Race car

BTDT
    I had a wining noise on my previous coupe. (sound like a broken wheelbearing but a lot louder)
    Turned out to be a topbearing of the gearbox. Was easily fixed by a profesional company here in Holland, only 450 euro.

good luck

Originally posted by s2avant95M
    Just got a call from Autopool who have my S2, they have fixed the boost leak, but the whining noise that they also are looking at they say could be gearbox or front differential. He says it could cost £1500 as they have to send it away to someone!! Does anybody know about what this might cost or anyone who could fix it?

Thanks for you help in advance...
    No power, no glory!
    S4 Avant, 2003, K&N-filter, 18", RNS-E, enough audio

Comment

Unlucky mate. I can offer no help only sympathy. If its any consolation at all, Autopool are good guys and would not recommend action that was not required...

Hope it is not too painfull.

Steve.
      The Perfectionist
      sigpic
      Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

buy a used gearbox insted,and then save up for a rebuild,you can rebuild a coupel of gear boxes fore that price.

RIX

Comment

I know a bloke who has reconditioned 6 spd boxes. These have been rebuilt by an Audi trained tech. I believe they come in at about £800, with a 1 year guarantee. If you're interested send me a PM and I'll forward the details on to you.
          91 Modded 3B
          14 A6 Avant Black Edition

Comment

Originally posted by SteveH
            I know a bloke who has reconditioned 6 spd boxes. These have been rebuilt by an Audi trained tech. I believe they come in at about £800, with a 1 year guarantee. If you're interested send me a PM and I'll forward the details on to you.

you have a PM.
            Tim

Golf MK2 8v Race car

Comment

Mine seems to make a funny whining noise when the clutch is pressed down, but only when the car is in 1st or reverse (thats the only time ive noticed it anyway) sounds faster when revs are high, but if i keep the clutch depressed it slows down pretty quickly.

Gear selection is all fine and drives fine too.

Bearing perhaps?
              Ant

2007 Mk5 Golf GTi, 3 door, DSG, REVO Stg 2 and other goodies
              2011 Kawasaki Z1000

Comment

Originally posted by S2 Ant
                Mine seems to make a funny whining noise when the clutch is pressed down, but only when the car is in 1st or reverse (thats the only time ive noticed it anyway) sounds faster when revs are high, but if i keep the clutch depressed it slows down pretty quickly.

Gear selection is all fine and drives fine too.

Bearing perhaps?

Yeah, they think it is a bearing gone. The whine just gets higher in pitch as you increase speed, but does not change whatever gear your in, even in neutral still makes the same whining sound...
                Tim

Golf MK2 8v Race car

Comment

Yeh that sounds like the one....
                  Ant

2011 Kawasaki Z1000

Comment

Yeah, they think it is a bearing gone. The whine just gets higher in pitch as you increase speed, but does not change whatever gear your in, even in neutral still makes the same whining sound...
                    Sounds just like what I have got. It has been identified as worn pinion bearings which are a common thing I'm afraid.

A friend had his 2WD car done including swapping the gearbox in and out for £450 by a company in Manchester.

£1500 would be for a totally rebuilt box and not just fixing the problem.

David

Comment

Originally posted by Stick Insect
                      Sounds just like what I have got. It has been identified as worn pinion bearings which are a common thing I'm afraid.

A friend had his 2WD car done including swapping the gearbox in and out for £450 by a company in Manchester.

£1500 would be for a totally rebuilt box and not just fixing the problem.

David
                      ok, but they are saying £400 to remove and refit gearbox..+£400 to rebuild and + any parts needed..
                      Tim

Golf MK2 8v Race car

Comment

ok, but they are saying £400 to remove and refit gearbox..+£400 to rebuild and + any parts needed..
                        It's not a 5 minute job swapping boxes ( unless you're Audiman!) that sounds about right I think the bearings were £70ish.

David

Comment

Yeh i'd say that would sound about right for removal and refitting of the gearbox... an experienced person would take several hours to remove and it is def a real pig to do.... then refitting again etc.

its a real git on mine cos it was all out but then found this afterwards as i didnt have a working clutch before to know... obviously went when the clutch did.... no way im shelling out for it to all come out again... cant afford it for starters... so will drive it for now.
                          Ant

2011 Kawasaki Z1000

Comment

Working...
                          X