urs6 automatic transmission fluid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• urs6 automatic transmission fluid

Having realised this is an important thing to do on automatics I've got to wondering is there a filter needs done as well, cant se one listed in etka. Also is the diff separately lubricated, as cant see a separate drain plug for it?

Thanks, Stephen

I'm doing this job on a C5 S6 and there is a filter on mine but it's called a strainer on ekta if your changing the fluid you'll need to remove the pan to clean out the cak that's in there and the strainer lives in there too

Not sure about the diff I always assumed it was lubricated by the ATF but could be wrong
    URQ 20vt converted
    80 quattro saloon with on going a V8 transplant

Comment

Ah yes the oil strainer, doesnt look like too difficult of a job to get the pan off. May buy some ATF and have a hash about next couple days cant go to far wrong

Comment

Reminds me I need to change ATF on the allroad sometime... seem to remember there is a bit of nonsense about doing this on a ramp so to car is nice and level for refilling correctly. Assume that applies to all C4 and C5 auto boxes.

And the old adage of removing the FILL plugs BEFORE removing the drain plugs is worth remembering here - could be a long frustrating day if you dump the old oil to find the fill plug is seized or wrung out.
        Paul Nugent
        Webmaster http://S2central.net
        Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
        2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
        2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Its quite a procedure for refilling Its all documented in elsa win. I can copy and paste it on here if you don't have access to it.

Also the main thing I've read about mine is they are very sensitive to the type of ATF you use. I've gone for valvoline Maxlife as that was listed as a compatible oil and I also read a study that a guy has used it in his BMW box (same box just 2wd) and two years down the line has had no issues

It's over £10L from Audi and mine holds around 10L
          URQ 20vt converted
          80 quattro saloon with on going a V8 transplant

Comment

Dont have elsa would be useful alright to see the audi procedure alright. As far as the fluid to use was just going go with something of reasonable quality, however might take quick search on net about various fluids

Good point have had take driveshaft stubs out before to refill gearboxs and diffs

Comment

Originally posted by goodall View Post
              Good point have had take driveshaft stubs out before to refill gearboxs and diffs
              That is a handy tip if people get stuck. I have done that on a diff before, just looked at the fill plug and thought nagh, out with the shaft/flange bit
              Current-2004 Impreza PPP wagon

Sold-92 3B coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, rear torsen, forged rods........
              Sold ABY-stock

Comment

UrS6 Auto Trans Fluid Change

Originally posted by goodall View Post
                Having realised this is an important thing to do on automatics I've got to wondering is there a filter needs done as well, cant se one listed in etka. Also is the diff separately lubricated, as cant see a separate drain plug for it?

Thanks, Stephen
                BTDT What you need is a Mann & Hummel H2120KIT from your friendly M & H stockist (Andrew Page Limited) Cost is around £30.00. The kit includes the Filter (Strainer) the "O Ring" which fits to the Filter and the Sump Gasket.

You will get around 3 Litres of old fluid out of the sump when you drain off. You can use a Good Quality Dexron III Fluid or Audi's own fluid (G 052 162 which is fully synthetic) I use Comma's Multi Vehicle Transmission Fluid which is fully synthetic and is compatible with Audi's fluid and available in 5 Litre packs for around £30.00.

Drain the fluid making sure you can undo the filler plug first! Unbolt the Tranny Sump (4 Allen Head Bolts) Clean the inside of the sump with de-greaser including the magnet which lives in the bottom of the sump (the magnet will probably be full of grey sludge which is basically metal from the transmission components...wear and tear etc)

Take the old filter off (i think there are 3 or 4 bolts to undo) noting where the "O" Ring fits around the filter neck which fits into the valve body of the tranny. Fit the new filter with the new "O" Ring and refit the sump using the new sump gasket.

Now start to fill the tranny with new fluid.

You will need VAG-COM/VCDS to check the transmission fluid temp when you have filled the first 2 litres into the tranny....when the fluid starts to weep out of the level filler hole after approx 2 litres then start your engine. With the engine running continue to fill the rest of the fluid into the tranny until it starts to weep out of the filler hole checking that the tranny fluid does not get over 35 deg C. When the fluid starts to weep out again (after apprx 3 litres) get in the car and put your foot on the brake and run the gear selector through the gate from Park to 1 and back for around 10 seconds in each position. This allows the new fluid to move around the tranny. Get back underneath with the engine running and in Park and top up until the fluid weeps out again.

Put the filler plug back and job done.

Go for a road test and the tranny should be good for another 40,000 miles until you need to do the fluid and filter change again.

I don't think I have missed anything but you need the car on level ground on wooden blocks under the wheels or on axle stands or on a ramp so that you can get underneath to access all the appropriate components etc.

The Final Drive diff oil is conventional 75/90w Synthetic Gear Oil with the filler on the side of the final drive diff (allen head plug...not sure which side though!) with the drain plug underneath.

It is a similar proceedure for the C5 Auto Transmission...I have done a fluid and filter change on a 1999 A6 2.7T Avant.

Hope the above helps.

Ta

Dave
                1997 S6 Avant

Comment

Working...
                X