what would cause this noise?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what would cause this noise?

was on a long trip last night and two hours out there is an intense whirring noise that sounded like a wheel bearing going out in the driver's side rear. I moved the car side to side to see if I could load/unload the bearing, but the noise remained constant, which leads me to believe that it is not the bearing. The noise changed with speed.

I parked the car when I got home and did not mess with it. This morning when I pulled out to go to work - this heinous noise made me stop. I took the wheel off today and the outer cv boot has exploded everywhere. I've never had a rear axle go bad, so I don't know what to listen for.

The video is of me backing up a few feet and then pulling back in.

What do you guys think? The brakes are not stuck and nothing seems to be impeding their travel.
    Attached Files

is your drive shaft fekked? looks like its slightly out of line and that grey mark from above looks like its snapped?

Comment

I think you've answered your own question. If the outer boot is gone then you problem is more than likely your CV. Without the boot in place there isn't a whole lot to keep the grease in and the dirt out. CVs are very precise parts that can't take the ingress of dirt or wear from lack of lubrication so you're probably going to need to replace the entire joint at this point.

Comment

The axle is straight, it just looks like it's messed up from the picture. I know that the joint is most likely my problem, it's just that I've never heard of a CV making a whirring noise while going in a straight line. Thanks for the input guys.

Comment

Working...
        X