Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gearbox reinforcement, race gearboxes

Hello All,

I have been building up my engine for quite w while now. But form the time my
    car has get stronger and stronger i tend do brake the gear boxes. Last year I
    have broken my 5 gear box. This Year I have broken 3 gearboxes, one 5 gear,
    and two 6 gear gearboxes. That is it I have to do something for next year

On Elf Turbo Boost I estimate my power to be around 550HP with 2.0 Bar boost at GT35R turbo.

I have killed my new 6 gear gearbox on the last drag competition. The problem
    with the last two 6 gearboxes was I had a problem with the 1 and 2 gear. Afterthe extensive dragracing I could not force my gear box to have 1 and 2 gear put in to gear.

The same problem had my friend form Lituania with also highly modifyed S2.

Is there any way to make the gearbox stronger ? Is it possible to buy a race
    gearbox ? Did any of You heard of gearboxes made for racing ? Maybe the
    gearboxes made by Mr. Kluge ? Quife ? Somebody else ? What about rear diferential
    AKmotorsport.net - Manufacturing Motorsport parts that do the job. | Audi S2 on Facebook | Best way of reaching me is sending email to albert@akmotorsport.net

Originally posted by Albert
    Hello All,

I have been building up my engine for quite w while now. But form the time my
    car has get stronger and stronger i tend do brake the gear boxes. Last year I
    have broken my 5 gear box. This Year I have broken 3 gearboxes, one 5 gear,
    and two 6 gear gearboxes. That is it I have to do something for next year

On Elf Turbo Boost I estimate my power to be around 550HP with 2.0 Bar boost at GT35R turbo.

I have killed my new 6 gear gearbox on the last drag competition. The problem
    with the last two 6 gearboxes was I had a problem with the 1 and 2 gear. Afterthe extensive dragracing I could not force my gear box to have 1 and 2 gear put in to gear.

The same problem had my friend form Lituania with also highly modifyed S2.

Is there any way to make the gearbox stronger ? Is it possible to buy a race
    gearbox ? Did any of You heard of gearboxes made for racing ? Maybe the
    gearboxes made by Mr. Kluge ? Quife ? Somebody else ? What about rear diferential
    have you tried 5gear gearbox from old Audi's whitout torsen? I think somebody said that Jonus is using such (with 820+HP). The are no problems at all with rear diferentials on Audi cars...
    Xtra Racing

Comment

Originally posted by nervas
      have you tried 5gear gearbox from old Audi's whitout torsen? I think somebody said that Jonus is using such (with 820+HP). The are no problems at all with rear diferentials on Audi cars...
      I did not ... what code those gear boxes have ? I have the problem with the 4 gear that on the end of 402 meter run I'm runing around 200km/h and if my car gest faster I will have to put fith gear and that will be a waist of time ... i wold be looking for longer 4 gear.

Did any of You use gearbox form 4.2 V8 6 gearbox ?
      AKmotorsport.net - Manufacturing Motorsport parts that do the job. | Audi S2 on Facebook | Best way of reaching me is sending email to albert@akmotorsport.net

Comment

I did not ... what code those gear boxes have ? I have the problem with the 4 gear that on the end of 402 meter run I'm runing around 200km/h and if my car gest faster I will have to put fith gear and that will be a waist of time ... i wold be looking for longer 4 gear.

Did any of You use gearbox form 4.2 V8 6 gearbox ?
        At the moment 6gear gearbox from 4.2 V8 (with wide 1st gear) is in my car. We were driving it on 1000km race and one circuit race and no problem yet.

what about putting gears faster maybe you need ECU with flat shift option and usualy such ECUs haz launch control mode.. for quit start with let's say 1,5bar boost from the beginig
        Xtra Racing

Comment

I too could do with something like this. A company is the UK, QSTuning have done some 'uprated' 3B 5 speed gearboxes. Dont know what they do to them, but it isnt cheap.

The other option is to use, as said above, the gearbox from a URQ without Torsen centre diff. These are bulletproof nearly.
          sigpic
          Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
          Audi UR Quattro
          Audi 100 C3 2.0 5 cyl 115ps
          Audi S2 - 07k engine project aiming for 800ps
          Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

Gearbox code is 016, fitted to some Audi 100's i think.
            sigpic
            Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
            Audi UR Quattro
            Audi 100 C3 2.0 5 cyl 115ps
            Audi S2 - 07k engine project aiming for 800ps
            Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

200 20v has 016 w/torsen

Btw I've heard that 6 speed is built on the 016 so maybe not much to gain.

If you shift fast the sync rings are not up to the job and you get damage on the teeth of the shift mechanism inside the box(don't know the right word for it, but it's the ring that the shift forks operates and lock the gears) When these teeths get damaged it becomes more and more difficult to engage 1. and 2.

Cheers,
              Roger

Comment

Originally posted by Audi_CQ
                If you shift fast the sync rings are not up to the job and you get damage on the teeth of the shift mechanism inside the box(don't know the right word for it, but it's the ring that the shift forks operates and lock the gears) When these teeths get damaged it becomes more and more difficult to engage 1. and 2.

Cheers,
                Roger
                It sounds exacly like what hapend to my first and second gear. It got harder and harder to get the gears in. Now it is imposible while the car is runing and I have to use grate amount of power while car is turned off tu put 1 or 2 gear.

Comment

you could always consider taking a new gearbox apart and having all of the internal surfaces hardened...but it might screw with the box.

how about an RS4 gearbox? it should bolt right up, no?
                  Joe "NoNonsense"
                  axis motorsport
                  joe@axismotorsport.com

"At the end of the game, the king and the pawn go back in the same box."

Comment

7mm diference in lenght but it is posible

Comment

7mm diference in lenght but it is posible
                      well, i have a B5 S4 gearbox going into my car sometime this winter...i won't know the main differences until i have them out and side-by-side.
                      The RS4 box is built for torque. perhaps you should contact MTM as they have a 600hp RS4 and might have more answers for you there.
                      Joe "NoNonsense"
                      axis motorsport
                      joe@axismotorsport.com

"At the end of the game, the king and the pawn go back in the same box."

Comment

I'm looking for a race gearbox with straight gears .... just for trak use ...

Comment

I'm looking for a race gearbox with straight gears .... just for trak use ...
                          such box will cost from 5kEUR used till...... xxkEUR

Try to contact Xtrac, but their costs is very high
                          Xtra Racing

Comment

Originally posted by nervas
                            such box will cost from 5kEUR used till...... xxkEUR
                            Do You know anybody that is using that king od gearbox in S2 ? Would You know a place where to get those used ones ?

Comment

Dialynx run their 500+bhp monster UR with 20V conversion on the 016 box from a Sport quattro - allegedly. For true race boxes with straight cut gears etc I think you need to chase down companies or individuals who supplied Audi Sport in the past. They would seem to me your best chance of finding something suitable. I think it will be very expensive though !

Paul
                              Paul Nugent
                              Webmaster http://S2central.net
                              Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
                              2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
                              2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Working...
                              X