How much clutch pedal travel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much clutch pedal travel

Hi guys having just bought my first S2 at the ripe old age of 51 i seem to be asking a lot of questions from the forum here is another one when i depress the clutch pedal select a gear release the pedal it comes up and the last 3" it clunks its as iff the spring is to powerful so you can imagine when you drive the car everytime you change gear you get clunk has anyone else had this problem???

My clutch pedal has a life of it's own, usually caused by worn linkage. Long as your clutch is working ok, I just learned to live with it at the moment. Let me know what you find out might help me too

Comment

Two things to check. First off the pedal has an overcenter spring which can sometimes break and fall out.

2nd is the linkage to the master cylinder, there is a flexible rubber section that can fall apart and cause trouble. Basically keep an eye on it as you push the clutch pedal in, if it bends out of shape its done for.
      91CQ20v - Gone to a new home
      93UR-S4 - The Magic Carpet
      94S2Bus - The Emerald Express

Comment

Mine snapped once on the at Bristol when I had to get back to London. It is a common issue with these cars. Mine did what yours did and then as said eventually snapped!

Got a friend of mine to fabricate a new part. Think it was the rod if I remember what he said correctly?

Comment

Hi guys had a look at the clutch pedal today and from the diagram that macandmar sent me it is no 6 and it does bend out of shape whats the solution can you buy the broken part iff so anyone know the part no.

cheers.

Ray.

Comment

No.6 is the return spring. If something is bent it is highly likely to be the master cylinder push rod and universal joint. A notoriously weak link in the clutch pedal arrangment and something that EVERY owner has had fail on them at one point or another.

"Rusyy" on here sells a repair clamp, or failing that a new Master cylinder is required....

HTH

Cheers,

Steve
            The Perfectionist
            sigpic
            Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

I have a design for a repair clamp that I'm getting made soon, I hope - I've been testing the prototype for a few months and it works well. Next projet is the pivots, as I think mine are contributing to a really sticky pedal action.
              Cheers'en, AndyC
              1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

had another look today and its def the master cyl pushrod and not no 6 is there a thread on here on how to get the master cyl off im having trouble getting to right hand bolt under the pedal thats attached to cyl.

Comment

It's fairly involved on a RHD car, as you have to take off all the turbo heatshield, airbox etc. etc. The bits inside the car aren't too difficult, just takes a while to get the right tool in there
                  Cheers'en, AndyC
                  1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

the CQ20v / 3B master cylinder is an upgrade on the ABY one as it doesn't break, AFAIK its a straight fit and half the price
                    Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                    Indigo ABY coupé
                    Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Originally posted by Error404 View Post
                      the CQ20v / 3B master cylinder is an upgrade on the ABY one as it doesn't break, AFAIK its a straight fit.
                      Really? Why did we get a chocolate one for the superior ABY then?
                      The Perfectionist
                      sigpic
                      Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

ask the accountants
                        Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                        Indigo ABY coupé
                        Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

I think the engineers were on a rubber fetish when they did the ABY with squidgy flywheels, rubber linkages and what not.

Dont really remember having much trouble changing them Bilko, almost sure it was a job for the 1/4" Teng ratchet set. Best tool i ever bought, use it for everything as its so small and easy to get into places.

Comment

Thats worth knowing, im about to replace mine while the engine is out. What is the difference between them? Have you got the P/N for the 3B version?
                            Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

8A0 721 401 ABY/ADU
                              893 721 401 D For everything else

Question is are the piston sizes the same, i suspect the ABY is larger so earlier master cylinder might give you a firmer pedal action.

Comment

Working...
                              X