Shunting and Groaning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shunting and Groaning

Not an evening in with the girlfriend, more a day out in the RS2 Two questions....

When engaging or releasing the clutch, especially in 1st/2nd, seems be a noticable 'thud', almost feels like the clutch is snatching, or theres some movement in the drivetrain? Makes smooth driving very difficult around town...?

Also, when moving a slowly on close to full lock, the rear diff (I assume) sounds a bit noisy - more a groaning noise. I know some diffs can be noisy on full lock, just wondered if this was 'normal' ? Not sure how long its been since the diff oil has been changed?

Ta.
    Matt
    1994 RS2, RS Blue - Big Reds, Milltek, Bilsteins.

Both symptoms sound like a failed diff mount to me. The two small rear bushings are cheap, the front mount is pricey though, over a hundred quid. You really need to get under and inspect all the transmissions mounts.
    91CQ20v - Gone to a new home
    93UR-S4 - The Magic Carpet
    94S2Bus - The Emerald Express

Comment

By front mount do you mean the rear circular one that's a pig to get out the ally housing?? They're only about 30 from Quattro corner.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk
      1996 Audi S2 - 295bhp and 326lb/ft - Complete Rebuild Project

1994 Audi 80 - 2.0 8v (slow but reliable!)

Comment

Avants have a different diff layout. One big mount at the front and two small at the rear.
        91CQ20v - Gone to a new home
        93UR-S4 - The Magic Carpet
        94S2Bus - The Emerald Express

Comment

Yup, sounds like a worn mount. While youre under there you can check for play in the drivetrain aswell. My CQ has some slack in the middle differential that makes a small thud.
          If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried.

-CQ 3b "S2".

Comment

Cheers.

Is it a difficult job? Not sure whether to tackle it myself or take it to Midland...
            Matt

Comment

Bump on this....

Car is currently being looked at - they suspect its the diff thats failing, as all the mounts are fine? Is that to be expected at these (166k) mileages?

Edit - ignore that, he's spoken to the boss who says its normal for RS2s, and nothing to worry about. Still, might look at changing the diff oil I think, just to be on the safe side!
              Last edited by MattyB1; 7 October 2011, 11:14.
              Matt

Comment

Some play in the rear diff can be normal with that milage. It's possible to shim the diff for less play, but if you can live with it you'll adapt your driving style over time until its not noticable.

One thing to take into consideration is mounting some rigid mounts. It will change the way the drivetrain feels, but all play that isn't in the diff itself is eliminated. Only downside besides the chassis vibrating is mostly seen in 01A gearboxes, when the rigid mounts make no room for play in the diffs and transfer all the shunt directly to the gearbox. IMO that can lead to the weaker gearboxes failing. In a Rs2 you wont have that problem.
                If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried.

-CQ 3b "S2".

Comment

Originally posted by MattyB1 View Post
                  Bump on this....

Car is currently being looked at - they suspect its the diff thats failing, as all the mounts are fine? Is that to be expected at these (166k) mileages?

Edit - ignore that, he's spoken to the boss who says its normal for RS2s, and nothing to worry about. Still, might look at changing the diff oil I think, just to be on the safe side!
                  Matt,

Should you not be getting them to put on diff new mounts as they have it on the ramp, and as they've done 166k and then you'll really be better placed to know if anything else is worn. I appreciate it's more money, but with these cars when is it not ? Even though they say they're fine new ones can only be better.

They must have been fantastic cars when new and with an MTM conversion.

Kind regards.

Comment

Working...
                  X