fwd torsen or lsd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fwd torsen or lsd

is there any audi with FWD and have a Torsen or LSD? Is it possible to pack an Audi LSD in FWD transmission.
    http://akcrankshaft.com/forum/showth...tid=129&page=1

Quaiffe make an ATB diff which is very similar to a TORsen. You can get a plate LSD made up by various people, Gripper etc.
    Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
    Indigo ABY coupé
    Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

I had, before changing the chasis to Quattro, an V8 rear torsen diff machined to fit the FWD gearbox.
      I have drived like that for 12000km....has reduced the torque steering alot...but was still scary when boost came on....

Comment

Did you have any pictures and information? I would like to do it.
        Go Holset or Go RS4

Comment

Originally posted by Pirvu Eugen View Post
          I had, before changing the chasis to Quattro, an V8 rear torsen diff machined to fit the FWD gearbox.
          I have drived like that for 12000km....has reduced the torque steering alot...but was still scary when boost came on....
          Scary like what? I've read, that an lsd in fwd makes the car not very "nice" on the corners, the only good thing is that you can go straight faster, without loosing traction. Doesnt it have any side effects for lets say a daily driver? lets say its winter, and you have an lsd up front

Comment

The first focus RS had a quaife in the front and they said the car was very good for a strong FWD.

I am interested in this because i mounted a FWD gearbox in a middle engined Buggy so i want the FWD torsen mod for the rear wheels.
            Go Holset or Go RS4

Comment

Let's say that with 20v turbo 3b with MRC high boost chip FWD i was faster on 400m than an 500 CLS merc.
              The problem with torsen in front is that...on corners...the car tends to go straight...you have to be gentle with throttle on corners.

Comment

Originally posted by Billman View Post
                The first focus RS had a quaife in the front and they said the car was very good for a strong FWD.

I am interested in this because i mounted a FWD gearbox in a middle engined Buggy so i want the FWD torsen mod for the rear wheels.
                You have to machine one shaft to be able to fit the gearbox bearing...on one side only...the gearbox diff bearing on that side is smaller.
                After that...i reskimmed the diff in the box and was super....the diff has even the slots for the speedometer worm gear.

Comment

With re skimmed what do you mean? You trimmed one side to fit in the gearbox?
                  Go Holset or Go RS4

Comment

you have to readjust the backlash between the crown and pinion and then bearings pretension in the case.
                    You do this by adding or removing shims from under the outer bearings cages.

Comment

Any guide on how to measure these?

You machined only the shaft for the flange or the diff outer side itself? Do you have any pictures of it?
                      Go Holset or Go RS4

Comment

I machined the diff's shaft..where the bearing has to be pressed....not the casing.

Comment

very nice thanks. What model was the FWD gearbox you used? Right now I have a gearbox off a 1.8 liter Audi 80 B3
                          Go Holset or Go RS4

Comment

I had the old...100...200...fwd gearbox. Is stronger than the original coupe gt i had. I modified the shift linksge also...but no prob this.

Comment

Originally posted by Billman View Post
                              I want that. My trabant have meddle engine and FWD audi transmission. Is it good for corners in that car?

I once had a Opel Manta without LSD, and later with LSD. The difference is huge. LSD is very useful, but can be just as dangerous for amateur.
                              http://akcrankshaft.com/forum/showth...tid=129&page=1

Comment

Working...
                              X