Differential Types

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Differential Types

Having recently been playing about in snow and ice I noticed every time i got to a clear patch of road and picked up pace i would loose diff lock, which occasionally meant driving on the next patch of ice without lock. My question is does diff lock only apply to the read diff as the diagram on the button appears? does it do any other changes to the cars setup as the abs light comes on? and what types of diff are used in a standard s2? Iv found the center is a toursen but cant find what the others are viscous/lsd/standard or what power distribution there is front and back. Can anyone help with my curiosity. Thanks.

• The diff lock disengages at about 20mph.
    • It only locks the rear diff.
    • The ABS is also turned off.
    • The front and rear diffs are open type.
    • The centre diff is indeed a torsen type.
    • Front:Rear torque split is 50:50 and can vary by +/- 25%.
    • You can disable the speed cutout by cutting the white and blue wire that goes to the ABS ECU under the rear seats*

*BUT IME the diff lock is only required for pulling away and can make the car handle badly when left engaged on snow: either chronic understeer or very twitchy on cambers. Basically, if you're rolling, then the car is better off without it; if you're playing then it's great fun

HTH
    Last edited by Rusty; 20 December 2011, 12:39.
    Cheers'en, AndyC
    1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

Working...
    X