Six speed box and diff ratios

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Six speed box and diff ratios

I'm looking to fit a six peeder to replace my 5 speeder and want to know are the final drive ratios the same in both, I thought about a TDi box to increase the to speed?? does anyone have the info or has anyone fitted the same?!

Cheers
    Jay

Final ratios - Yes and no depending on what model/year

see Charlie Smith's site, far more info than anyone could ever desire imho

http://www.elektro.com/~audi/01E/
    Jim

Comment

I have both car at the monent and can say the Diesel is very much higher geared than my S2. I will be out in my diesel shortly and will post 6th gear results at diff revs

Paul
      S4 2.7 Twin Turbo, with a few mods

Comment

not very scientific i know but here you go

RPM in 6th gear

1000 = 35mph

2000 = 70mph

3000 = 104mph

car is 5 cylinder 2.5 tdi

HTH

Paul
        S4 2.7 Twin Turbo, with a few mods

Comment

Originally posted by Paulm
          not very scientific i know but here you go

RPM in 6th gear

1000 = 35mph

2000 = 70mph

3000 = 104mph

car is 5 cylinder 2.5 tdi

HTH

Paul
          Cheers, it's not a big increase, maybe allroad box I require?!

Comment

You want more than 210mph @ 6000rpm?? How much power do you have mate as those ratios are about as tall as you get I would have thought in a 4WD Audi?
            1995 S2 Avant with some upgrades

Designun Limited....
            Aerospace, Space and Motorsport Design Consultancy and hardware supply.

Comment

That IS a big increase - the ABY 6 speeder (running same effective top and final ratio as 3B box) is circa 100mph at 4000rpm. Its geared for ~25mph per 1000 rpm on standard diameter wheels n tyres.

Looks like the TDi box is more like 34-35mph per 1000 rpm... Which of course it needs as an oil burner which can't rev as fast as a petrol engine.

Can't recall the formula for estimating BHP needs for ultimate top speed, but 210mph at 6000rpm smells to me like a mighty hairy S2 !!!

Paul
              Paul Nugent
              Webmaster http://S2central.net
              Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
              2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
              2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Originally posted by S2central.net
                That IS a big increase - the ABY 6 speeder (running same effective top and final ratio as 3B box) is circa 100mph at 4000rpm. Its geared for ~25mph per 1000 rpm on standard diameter wheels n tyres.

Looks like the TDi box is more like 34-35mph per 1000 rpm... Which of course it needs as an oil burner which can't rev as fast as a petrol engine.

Can't recall the formula for estimating BHP needs for ultimate top speed, but 210mph at 6000rpm smells to me like a mighty hairy S2 !!!

Paul
                I had heard that the lads state side with 500 BHP will pull 193 MHP! audis have good aero-dynamics, but each mph takes an ever increaseing amount of horse power. just wanted a tall top gear for cruising (fuel econ) and may be a blast to the far side of 170 MPH!!!

Comment

Working...
                X